MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought i would put up a quick guide to fit a boost gauge, complete with a few pictures

First find a suitable hole in the firewall for sticking the tube through.

I found the place for me, was along side the (green) cable for the temperature controls:

I put a piece of wire in the thin tube, and pushed that through first, then the tube just followed behind.

I used a 'T' piece from a windscreen washer pipe, and used a spare bit of tube i had to attatch it to the 'MAP' sensor:

Here is the view from near the clutch pedal:

Now it is just simply a case of feeding the tube, to where ever you want to mount your gauge.

I have decided to mount the gauge, in the middle upper heater vent.

Excuse the gaffa tape, as this is temporary till i make a proper mould. I am hoping to be able to still use the passenger side vent, to give as much of a OE look as possible.

Picture of gauge in place:

Lit up for night time:

I got power from the ciggie lighter, to get the light working on the gauge.

I hope this guide works, for anybody else who wants to fit a boost gauge.

I now can confirm i am getting a peak 19psi, might crank it up slightly to get a nice round 20psi.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Skelo, do you get a better reading from connecting it to the map sensor ?
I only ask, as mine is connected to the actuator.
Ian

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here, I'd like to know that!
To be honest, i could hardly get to the actuator. There is so much pipework etc, so i just plumbed it into the MAP sensor.

No idea if readings are any different between the 2, i know the guage confirms my previous calculations (using the test meter etc as per roverrons site).

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the link, but the pods look awful in my opinion.

I'm going to try and get it looking as OE as possible, so the pod is out of the question.

Not sure how i am going to mould it in the vent, but i am sure i'll figure a way to do it!!!.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, Been looking for a 30psi gauge for a while. What make is the one you have used?? thx

PAul
It is a OBX Racing one, bought from a chap on Rovertech. Loads on ebay tho http://search.ebay.co.uk/boost-gauge_W0QQfromZR40QQfsprZ1QQssPageNameZWD8B

This one is exactly the same as mine, just a different colour bezel and Ford name on it. The tubing etc, is the same as what came with mine. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Racing-Turbo-Boost-Gauge_W0QQitemZ110077390642QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
13 Posts
wat sorta psi is ur car hitting. i have one fitted in my car but something is not working correctly i think/ have u any mods coz mine in just standard

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wat sorta psi is ur car hitting. i have one fitted in my car but something is not working correctly i think/ have u any mods coz mine in just standard
Mine is currently running 19psi, i turned the actuator 3 complete turns to get this figure.

It is also been re-mapped, and the cat has been gutted.

I think standard PSI is 16. Anybody confirm?

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
think standard is 14psi - 1 bar, i think i'll repipe mine into the map sensor as it doesnt seem to like being inline with the boost controller. good guide skelo.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I used the hole on the passenger side on the firewall, and I've just moved my tubing to the hole with the temperature controls.

**** my friend up when he was sitting in my car with heater on, and the dial suddenley moved on it's own from me pulling the green cable, tehehehe!

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
think standard is 14psi - 1 bar, i think i'll repipe mine into the map sensor as it doesnt seem to like being inline with the boost controller. good guide skelo.
Thanks for the compliment mate, i wonder if the mods might make this a sticky??? :dddc:

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Appreciate the link, but the pods look awful in my opinion.

I'm going to try and get it looking as OE as possible, so the pod is out of the question.

Not sure how i am going to mould it in the vent, but i am sure i'll figure a way to do it!!!.

Cheers
Skelo
Leave it as it is, looks reall nice! :dddc:

Or, you could buy a premade holder that my friend will mae for you that fits in the drivers air vent!

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Leave it as it is, looks reall nice! :dddc:

Or, you could buy a premade holder that my friend will mae for you that fits in the drivers air vent!
Thanks for the offer. Would prefer keeping the gauge where it is tho, can he make something for where it is now?

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
ask stuart to sticky it, def is a good guide, and obviously i like the pods, got mine blended into the a frame cover so doesnt look too bad. i'll ask him if u want?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just been out to my car to look for this green pipe, found the green pipe from the inside but cant find it on the engine bay side.

Rover 25 mine is, so aint sure if it's the same as the pictures taken...
Also, when comig to fit a gauge, is it easier to fit with it in the air?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts