MG-Rover.org Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Done it

Fitted my boost gauge today as I had adjusted the boost a few weeks ago but didnt notice any difference. Turns out I'd turned the boost down. What a nob!!!

All working now and temp mounting in the ashtray on my 600.

Does anyone know if any pods made fit the 600 a pillar?

·
Registered
rover_25
61 Posts
I've recently plumbed in m Garrett style gauge using your method, no problems until it came to wiring. The wiring instructions given with the device say it was a 3 wire device, one goes to 12 lights, on earth and one to ignition, I'm pretty lose here, was hoping to tap into the headlight height adjustement switch as mentioned before, this is 3 wire again but im a bit lost with it all really. whats the best route? The gauge is mounted in a homemade FG pod to the right of the steering wheel, in where the stationary vent is.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I've recently plumbed in m Garrett style gauge using your method, no problems until it came to wiring. The wiring instructions given with the device say it was a 3 wire device, one goes to 12 lights, on earth and one to ignition, I'm pretty lose here, was hoping to tap into the headlight height adjustement switch as mentioned before, this is 3 wire again but im a bit lost with it all really. whats the best route? The gauge is mounted in a homemade FG pod to the right of the steering wheel, in where the stationary vent is.
I've got the Garret boost gauge from GBE, and have only used 2 of the 3 wires. So i have earth, and a light feed from one of the switches, for when i put the lights on.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
rover_25
61 Posts
Ah so the ignition one is not needed? How do you tap into the headlamp leveling switch? It's not connector block if i remember? Sorry im new to car wiring completely

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ah so the ignition one is not needed? How do you tap into the headlamp leveling switch? It's not connector block if i remember? Sorry im new to car wiring completely
I have my gauge in the centre air vent, so i scotch locked into the earth, and lighting wires of one of the switches. I used black wire to black wire, and red (from the gauge), onto a red/black wire of the switch.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
Since this is back up on the list, and I was reading through some posts I remembered something. A friend of mine had one of them 1.5DCi Renault and he had a boost gauge installed. It never occured to me until now that he was actually running 29psi boost on that thing. It's been discussed a few times on the forum that 19psi is the safe limit. So do you guys think its because of the very small turbo the Renault has or was he just lucky that it never gave in?

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
excessive backpressure and turbine/shaft speeds too.

Turbos can take a bit of abuse but I bet it would have given up eventually.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Heres my boost gauge that i fitted today i had to butcher the dial surround but i think it looks quite good
[/IMG]
I had a pod that came with the gauge so i used that to put in the slot i cut out of the surround, i put some glue underneath to hold it in place.
[/IMG]
All in all im very happy with it

I put the tpiece in at the map sensor and i think my car is running at 17psi but i havnt had it on a motorway yet so not going to adjust the actuator just yet until ive had a good motorway run to get a better reading.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Think this thread should be stickied, its a common mod, so makes it easier for folks to find.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quick question. If i do plumb it into the map sensor does it still read vac pressure or just boost pressure?

Thanks
Glen

·
Registered
457 Posts
Any ideas why my gauge sits at 2 psi? Installed yesterday and it works fine. When unplugged it reads 0 after a run it stays at 2.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yea, it's one of the £30 halfords jobbies. Came with the car. I took it out when I first got her home. Now I've added the SDIs etc I reinstalled it so I could check boost. Does the job. Just doesn't go back to 0.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts