MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so was driving home tonight and went through quite a big puddle got about 15ft on the other side of it and the car died out

didnt try to restart is she dead or is there anything i can do ?

·
Registered
mg_zr
256 Posts
I suppose draining the oil would get the water out of the engine if it's sucked any up inside don't no about

the diesel but if the ecu is under the bonnet the same as the petrol take it out and dry it out and try spraying all the electrics with wd40 it forces the water out of plugs and leads

·
Registered
186 Posts
How deep was the puddle? If it didn't cause a hydraulic lock (which would really be an engine killer unless emptied very carefully) then you could try unplugging the MAF.
If that works, but it dies again when you plug it back in, spray the MAF with brake cleaning spray.
Worked for me (after mine got drenched in a bad storm)!

BCingU,
En. ;-)

·
Registered
mg_zr
538 Posts
I did this one it when it to limp mode then conked out. Checked the airfilter and it was soaking! Got the filter out and put it in the oven at 50 degrees till it was dry and bit of electronic cleaner on the maff and all was well and good!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Remove injectors and crank engine to expel any water in the cylinders. Empty intercooler and any pipework and air filter of water.

Replace and try starting it.

If it starts from cold and all sounds ok then you may be lucky

If you have a misfire from cold that goes away once warm you have bent the conrods (common) and you'll need a new engine.

DO NOT try to start the engine until you have removed the injectors else you risk bending the conrods as above.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She lives :D

Even tho before i got the water drained out my little bro thought he'd try and fix her :S trying to start her.

Luckly he did no damage.

removed injectors and removed intercooler and emptied water turned her over

reinserted injectors. tried to turn over wouldnt turn, thought the worst.

so decided fuk it cant get any worse so towed her and jump started her smoked a little but was runing fine no knocking or misfire or anything. starting first turn every time now i am amazed

·
Registered
929 Posts
I had a similar problem last winter, managed to suck up a load of water and put the ZS in limp mode. Replaced the air filter, took the intake apart and cleaned it back to the turbo and was lucky she was fine. Had to get a code reader to turn the mil off though.

I am thinking about trying to re-route the intake this year. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts