MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes! in a word, this is exactly what happened to mine! 2weeks after purchase, faced a £900 bill, but they replaced everything and skimmed the head, an d put a new water pump in too.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Slipping a few teeth is arguable worse than snapping a belt. If the belt snaps, the cams will rotate only til the belt drops off the sprockets and then it is possible for both sets of cams to snap freely into the 'limp' position where 4 valves are closed and 4 are loosely open. Because of this, depending on where the belts snaps, it is possible to get away with a snapped belt at idle if you are VERY lucky.

If the belt slips by a bit, you are forcing the engine still with timing out.... damage can keep on happening for several more revolutions of the crank.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
69 Posts
If the cam belt breaks the piston will hit the valves, and bend them. ooh expensive!
David
My fan belt came off and wrapped round the timing belt causing it to jump a lot of teeth, and the timing was out by 45 degrees, put the timing belt back on and re-timed it, works fine... the timing belt was still on too.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A friend of ours had a cambelt failure today so would be interested to know what the typical damage and cost of repair would be so that I can give her a realistic idea of what to expect.

Sounds like the minimum is valves and maybe pistons too?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
What rpm was she doing? Mine went at idle and suffered bent valves but no other damage, swapped the head over and running sweeter than ever.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What rpm was she doing? Mine went at idle and suffered bent valves but no other damage, swapped the head over and running sweeter than ever.
Not sure to be honest so just gave her the recommendation to get it checked by an honest garage mechanic that charges reasonable rates. I sent her Russell's contact details and an MG Rover garage I use in Corby and told her not to let the garage it was taken to start stripping it down until she has spoken to them.

Ironic thing is that it happened down in Kent and AA/RAC or whoever, transported it up to a garage near where she lives in Peterborough - could have sent it straight to Russell!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Hi there can any one tell me my timing belt has snapped on my mg6 1.8 yes turbo 2011 reg will the pistons hit the valves
Yes, your engine is what is often called an interference engine. This means that when your belt snapped the pistons and valves will have been allowed to touch/hit each other.

Depending on the exact time when the belt gave way, will determine what level of damage you may have sustained. For example, if you were just cranking the engine to start it, you may have little or no damage. Alternatively if you were on the Motorway at high speed/engine revs, the damage could be very extensive with bent or broken valves, dented or cracked pistons etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
mg_tf
271 Posts
Even at a very modest 2000rpm, the engine would be revolving over 30 times a second. If it is estimated how many seconds it takes to react, then you get a good idea of the potential for damage.

·
Registered
classic_mg
22 Posts
I think the Ford Pinto engine ( which is probably what the OP was talking about) was only eight valves. So that meant each valve was vertical to the piston. Thus even if they came in contact, no great harm would come.

just a thought, no doubt someone will tell me I am wrong.

·
Registered
mg_tf
390 Posts
RE Pinto engines, 1600’s were an interference engine but the 2000 wasn’t, I had 2 belts break on a 2000, I changed one on the roadside in about 30 minutes. I would suspect that having vertical valves would cause more problems as the force would go straight up the valve stem, at least if the valve is angled you might just get away with bent valves.

Some modern Fords and possibly others have rockers that actuate the valves, these rockers have a weak point that’s designed to break in this situation.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
True!- the CVH had the advantage that you could replace the valve oil seals without splitting/lifting the head- Ive still got the tool in the garage to do it, somewhere. My wifes old XR2 used to go though stem-seals until I found out about the upgraded ones. Man, that was a car and a half-

21 - 34 of 34 Posts