MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Immobiliser issues

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  k8rew 
#1 ·
Hello all you very helpful people. I have a 53 plate MGTF VVC for a while now I’ve had a few issues with the immobiliser. Point the key fob and nothing. So access the car using the key, turn on the ignition and ....nothing. Just the two tone noise and no nice thrummy engine sound. The RAC came and tried it with the EKA code with no success. I called out our local key wizard with his reprogrammer and twice this has worked but sadly no longer The car is now stuck at work and Ive no idea what to do now. My key man asked his mate to see if he could bypass the immobiliser, but he can only do Bosch ones. Just at a loss and would be enormous grateful for advice. Would be happy with either bypassing the immobiliser or buying a new immobiliser. Even then who can set it all up?

#2 ·
Being on 53 plate I assume you have round fob with logo in the middle? If so then it is Pektron type fob and best person to ask is Technozen - Paul. He can be reached via his web site: https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/

#4 ·
I had the same symptoms on an '05 Pektron TF nearly 2 yrs ago + found out that the original relays (there are 5 that control immobiliser, elec. windows + other things) on the security or body control unit (scu/bcu) are notoriously weak.

This unit is located behind the temp controls.

If you're confident with soldering you can replace the relay(s) yourself or send the scu to Technozen for fast turnaround.

He can, at least, check the relays - which might save you replacing all the other stuff (perhaps with another scu that might be ready to 'let go'?)

#6 ·
Trouble with just using the EKA code is that you would need to input the code every time that you need to start the engine. If the EKA code that you have doesn't work, either it is the wrong one or the code is not being inputted correctly.

What shape fob do you have - a black squarish one or a black and grey round one? If a square fob you have the Lucas 5as security system, if it is round fob, you have a Pektron SCU. 53 plate would most likely have a Pektron, but if the car was built before 17th June 2003 and not registered until later will be a Lucas.

The symptoms would indicate to me that the security control unit isn't receiving the signal from the fob. The most likely reasons for this are either the CR2032 battery in the fob is discharged and needs replacing, or (if it has a Pektron SCU) the radio receiver circuit board in the SCU has been damaged (on Rover 25s and ZRs, water ingress into the SCU is the usual cause of this, although water ingress is not commonly on TFs, but may be a possibility, especially if the original SCU had become faulty and has been replaced by a used one taken from a 25/ZR).

Either way, I would agree with the suggestion to contact technozen for further advice.

From the described symptoms, I think failed relays in the SCU are unlikely to be the problem as they don't have any control over the immobiliser.

#8 ·
Trouble with just using the EKA code is that you would need to input the code every time that you need to start the engine. If the EKA code that you have doesn't work, either it is the wrong one or the code is not being inputted correctly.

What shape fob do you have - a black squarish one or a black and grey round one? If a square fob you have the Lucas 5as security system, if it is round fob, you have a Pektron SCU. 53 plate would most likely have a Pektron, but if the car was built before 17th June 2003 and not registered until later will be a Lucas.

The symptoms would indicate to me that the security control unit isn't receiving the signal from the fob. The most likely reasons for this are either the CR2032 battery in the fob is discharged and needs replacing, or (if it has a Pektron SCU) the radio receiver circuit board in the SCU has been damaged (on Rover 25s and ZRs, water ingress into the SCU is the usual cause of this, although water ingress is not commonly on TFs, but may be a possibility, especially if the original SCU had become faulty and has been replaced by a used one taken from a 25/ZR).

Either way, I would agree with the suggestion to contact technozen for further advice.

From the described symptoms, I think failed relays in the SCU are unlikely to be the problem as they don't have any control over the immobiliser.
You don’t need to enter the EKA every time you use the car, it bypasses the immobiliser until the power is cut either by the battery running flat or removing it.

#7 ·
Yep I'd agree with the suggestion to work backwards from the scu, and, in the light of my own experience, I'd certainly check the relays as a matter of course (that is, if it's a Pektron TF- which hasn't been verified yet)
Also, I've experienced a 'sluggishness' whilst using the fob which has been sorted by increasing the tension of the battery spring/holder.
Re RAC EKA attempt; the EKA code instructions seem to have a fair degree of complexity. I remember getting locked out for a 10min period after 3 goes...

#9 ·
That certainly used to be the case on the 1990s cars, but on a 53 plate, I am pretty sure the EKA code will only override the immobiliser until the next time that the engine is switched off. This is certainly the case on 25/ZR and 45/ZS which use identical engine management software and security control units to those in the TF, so I would be very surprised if the TF system operates differently.

However, as the OP hasn't bothered to log in and come back to this thread since he posted it 9 days ago, I think he was just wasting our time.

#10 ·
That certainly used to be the case on the 1990s cars, but on a 53 plate, I am pretty sure the EKA code will only override the immobiliser until the next time that the engine is switched off. This is certainly the case on 25/ZR and 45/ZS which use identical engine management software and security control units to those in the TF, so I would be very surprised if the TF system operates differently.

However, as the OP hasn't bothered to log in and come back to this thread since he posted it 9 days ago, I think he was just wasting our time.
Hi sorry, you may well be correct, my F is a 95 and I only need to re-enter the eka if I cut the power for some reason.

I agree, not sure why you would ask a question in a forum and then not log back in to see the answers ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.