MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The fuel delivery valves are outside of the pump so can be changed in situ I think. Probably best swapping them from a second hand pump as I've virtually never heard of them fail.

Thank you for that info E_T_V!

So I'll probably can solve this without removing the pump from the car. That makes it quite easier, I think.

Do you know if I can buy new valves? Do you know if Bosch sells them individually?
I'm going to google it but I'm also going to search for a second hand pump.

Thank you once again for your ideas and tips.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Small update: I've bought a used pump and I'm waiting to get it to exchange the current one.
Meanwhile I've made a few more diagnostics.

All seem fine except the fuel temperature. It's not possible that the fuel temperature is that low. These readings were made with a hot engine so the fuel temperature is way to low in my opinion.

Do you think that could make the fuel pump act strangely?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi all.

I've already changed the fuel pump and I had no results; meaning, the same random knocking coming from the injectors.

I'm clueless about this. Going to give another try in changing injectors, this time with some used ones.

Thanks for all the help and tips so far.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
402 Posts
injector knock

Just a thought. Are you sure what you hear is not a tappet sticking. It can be easily confused with an injector knock particularly when the engine is cold. On opening the head I noted the the one tappet [ hydraulic lifter ] had a flat spot where the cam runs. Normally the tappet revolves. The flat spot may prevent this. Anyway I changed all Tappets and solved the noise problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just a thought. Are you sure what you hear is not a tappet sticking. It can be easily confused with an injector knock particularly when the engine is cold. On opening the head I noted the the one tappet [ hydraulic lifter ] had a flat spot where the cam runs. Normally the tappet revolves. The flat spot may prevent this. Anyway I changed all Tappets and solved the noise problem.
Thanks for your tip. I also have changed all tappets and the sound The noise is completely random. Sometimes in cold the engine is very smooth, no strange noises. Sometimes the knocking is very loud after driving a few hundred kilometers.
Next day, it's the opposite...

I'm still completely clueless. Before going "mad" with this, I've let it be for a few months.

As I've wrote, I'll try to find and use some used injectors to check if there are any changes.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi, probably not the answer you are looking for, but the knock isn't coming from the rear engine mount due to worn rubber?, this is quite common...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi, probably not the answer you are looking for, but the knock isn't coming from the rear engine mount due to worn rubber?, this is quite common...
Sorry for the late reply; I've missed your post. Can you please specify witch engine mount do you mean? Are you referring to the mount that sits "behind" the battery?
The sound really seems coming from an injector and it is completely random.

Thanks,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finally I had the chance to switch to another set of injectors. This time I bought some used ones, send them to a Bosch Diesel Center to check them and put them on the engine.
Same random noise, unfortunately :frown:

I've made a couple of videos. 10 seconds. Engine knocking/ticking and normal engine sound.
Maybe earing the noise someone can point me on the right direction.

As a resume of what I've done to try to find what the knocking/ticking sound is:
- checked and rechecked timing and pump belt slack;
- changed fuel filter;
- new set of injectors;
- remanufactured pump;
- used set of injectors;

None of this had changed the behavior. The knocking sound is completely random and I can't understand where is it from.

The videos now. If you can, please listen a bit loud so you can ear the difference.

Normal engine sound:

Knocking/ticking engine sound:

Thank you for reading, listening and for any help you can provide.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts