MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering what the insurance would be like on a rover 45 or 75 for a 17 year old, im going to be getting my first car soon and if anyone has quotes that they got for their car i would be grateful, the reason for going 45 a 75 is that my journey to school is a long distance on the motorway and I would like a comfortable cruiser. As 75 prices are dirt cheap I was thinking about it (as it has the old person car stereotype I think it will be cheaper), thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to be on a multi car policy but when I checked a quote i got 5 grand for a rover 45

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Sorry Kf12, the insurance market is tough on new drivers, particularly under 20.
You'll find that insuring even a tiny 1.0 or 1.2 Economy hatch will be pricey. Expect that even with a big excess your insurance will cost at least a couple of grand. You will be unisurable on anything like a 75. Our youngest boy is now 23, and his insurance on a ZT is about £1300 a year in a low-crime area.
Look for something small, accept a bigger excess, and be careful for the first couple of years. No accidents and no speeding tickets, and be honest in your insurance applications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah after trying a few quotes I realised that living slap bang in the middle of London means that my quote for a Citroen C1 was near 3 grand, but dies anyone know how much extra I would cost on my parents multicar insurance?

·
Registered
mg_tf
312 Posts
I guess that’s an impossible question for anyone on here to answer, but the answer will lie with your parents checking with their current insurers, and possibly by seeking quotes from other insurers as well.

·
Registered
mg_tf
652 Posts
Being a named driver on a multicar policy is one way to get started- that's how we got our youngest boy on the road, until he was a bit older and had been driving for a while.
2 things- you should still be clear with the insurer who is the principal driver on each vehicle. This avoids any danger of your parents being accused of 'fronting' if you had an accident. It also means you probably won't begin building up any no claims until you finally branch out with your own policy. But, it gets you on the road, building experience.
As long as you're parents are Ok with the cost and (let's be honest) the extra risk that goes with having a young 'enthusiastic' driver on the policy then start looking for quotes.
When our boy first when looking for insurance on his 500 quid diesel Corsa one online quote came back for £17,000.
I told him to print it and frame it.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts