MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Against my fatherly advice, my missus got herself a Nintendo DS Lite this afternoon, it was about £97 !!!, bloody good job she paid for it with her money.

The main trouble is she didnt get a Game or anything else to plug into it !, i guess they cost about £20 each, Brain Training is one she has in mind.

It looks as if it takes a pre-programmed memory card of the type that i have in my Camera/Phone, are they called "SD" type ?. i have a spare 32mb capacity SD card when i upgraded the memory on my phone, i assume the pre-programmed games are 1 gig capacity or more.

The instruction book isnt any help at all. it looks as if i shall have to buy her a brain game or similar, but i know she will soon get fed up with it. I bet she will.

tim

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
The game cartridge the DS takes is not SD or any other type of PC standard as it is Nintendo proprietary.

Games are anywhere from £10-30 generally.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
I can recommend Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Mega Bomberman. :broon:

Oh, and get yourself one too. You won't regret it. The DS is the best handheld console out IMO.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
other half got her retired parents one each and scrabble from us at xmas!

father in law isnt at all technical but soon got into it.

Mother eyed it suspiciously

You can get like 101 classic books and stuff I think too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks lads, well she went and got a couple of 2nd hand games, £12 each from cash convertors, Brain training, the instruction book has been soaked in beer and useless, and the other one is Nervous Brickdown.

I am very impressed, this afternoon we had a friend round who had one as well, he had Mario Brothers and connected the two up wirelessly !, very clever i must say.

it seems with either game you have to complete some levels (or tasks) before you can access other levels (or tasks)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Lucky you, you will be in for peacefull evenings a mate at work got his wife one best thing he ever got her according to him. lol He ended up getting both his kids them as well:clap:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I can recommend Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Mega Bomberman. :broon:

Oh, and get yourself one too. You won't regret it. The DS is the best handheld console out IMO.
Bomberman has to be 1 of the, if not the, best multiplayer game on DS!!

I have an original DS i got on launch day, brother liked it and soon got 1, then he won a brand new DS lite at an amusent arcade for £1!! So he gave his orignal to dad, it is great when we go on holiday together and link all 3 up for multiplayer action, think we over played mario party last year, a whole week of it (mum didnt complain - peace and quiet for her ) !!

Thats what I like so much about the DS - multiplayer is so fun, and unlike the consoles .... each player gets there own screens ( or 2 :D ) so cheating by looking at other parts of the screen, or getting distracted is no problem, as well as being wireless
I think I agree with the 'best handheld console comment' as well, PSP has serious sweet graphics but gameplay on DS is more enjoyable I recon

I recently got hooked on final fantasy 3, for a handheld console, it was impressive to say the least

Also my all time favourites, advance wars (especially the game boy advance versions ) are very addictive, and a GBA / DS exclusive.

Luke

·
Registered
36,387 Posts
I can recommend Animal Crossing...
is that the one where little animals shake trees for money and spend it on cappuccinos? Should say "not suitable for over-tens" as we (OK, I) can't follow the rules! ;)

I mean, you don't even say the most important thing - what colour is it? :lol:

thanks lads, well she went and got a couple of 2nd hand games, £12 each from cash convertors, Brain training, the instruction book has been soaked in beer and useless...
so is the booze training leaflet useless because it's been covered in algebra? :lol:

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your mrs waited till the 03/04/09 the new version of the DS Lite called 'DSi' is being launched and has many new features.

http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=10696&cm_sp=dslite-_-topnav-_-dsi

I know its too late now but on the above website ^^^^ game are doing DS Lite offers with a game and accessory pack for only £109.99.

* Id defo recommend Mario Kart - gets addictive lol
* Super Mario Brothers is a good one aswell.
* 42 All classics is brilliant - loads of different games on it to entertain you for a while.

Id have a look on EBAY for bargains. Ive brought quite afew off there for my ds lite and saved ££££.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
is that the one where little animals shake trees for money and spend it on cappuccinos? Should say "not suitable for over-tens" as we (OK, I) can't follow the rules! ;)
That's the one Bruce! I am a multi millionaire on it. 6.3 million bells! :lol:

If your mrs waited till the 03/04/09 the new version of the DS Lite called 'DSi' is being launched and has many new features.
I'm SOOOOO tempted by the DSi it's unreal. But I have a really funky coloured DS (I've not seen any others on telly or internet the same colour) and don't want to get rid of it :(

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm SOOOOO tempted by the DSi it's unreal. But I have a really funky coloured DS (I've not seen any others on telly or internet the same colour) and don't want to get rid of it :(
It wouldnt happen to be this colour would it stiff ( mean the bottom DS - not top :bgrin2: )
http://nintenblog.free.fr/images/ds/bundles_nintendo_ds_pink_blue_nintendogs_teckel_labrador.jpg
I remember you saying it was blue, and remember this coloured version being released when nintendog's was first released in a combo pack with the game - what my brother had

Im still unsure on DSi - doesn't do much for me, cameras are very poor resolution going by stats and web surfing on it would be worse than using a phone I would imagine ( as phones have software etc to help and mobile versions of sites ), for same price I would keep my DS and get a netbook - no GBA slot as well is a bit of a bummer, GBA games might not be touch screen, or great graphics - but cheap thrills.

Luke

·
Registered
17,936 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My missus is still enjoying it, which i am amazed at and very pleased about. she is lowering her "age" everyday with the brain game (and so am I, of course !).

BTW, i can happily report, that after and advert on my local Freecycle.org site a very kind person photo copied the whole of the Brain Game instruction book, i was well pleased.

tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts