MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Glad there are a few 'die-hard' L-series fans about and thanks to all who reply.
Latest update: Starts on first time and no problem, sounds healthy, problem is when driven and revved 2k plus just looses power and smokes, does not die or cut out, just won't rev!
Engine has had a second hand head on as timing belt snapped wrecking the original.
Thought it might be turbo but can feel the boost on the pipes not got a gauge, but no longer think that it is this.
Changed all injectors
Have a digifram and good MAF and have disconnected this and still the same.
Have checked the EGR and is ok.
Have checked the intercooler pipes for splits all ok and they expand when revved.

So, is it the second hand head? possible valve problem? looked ok when I fitted it, however still could be this.
Pump, car had been off the road for about 2 years, sticky solenoid valves?

I have ordered a code reader so will have a play with that and see if there are any fault codes, there is no EML on.

Fuel starvation? read one thread about this but anyone got any info?

Rest of car is in great condition so will keep on, but starting to head scratch now!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I would say you have a problem with your fuel pump or map sensor, it sounds to me like your fueling isn't correct on boost, Adrian.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
418 Posts
I have a similar problem which I have put down to the disconnection of the throttle controller. I had disconnected this as one of the cam engine cover bolts had to be drilled out. On reassembly and new belt fitting I had the problem. I had discovered a problem was the plentuim egr gasket was leaking under the section where it bolted to the inlet. Hard to see but it improved the running but not the problem on startup.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, I'm starting to really head scratch now!
Just done compression test and 3 cylinders were 350 psi and 1 was 375 psi so think that's ok.
My only other thing that is bothering me is the turbo actuator, it doesn't move when I rev the engine (done in the garage so no load) one member said it wouldn't until on the road and under normal load but surely the turbo will produce enough boost when revved when stationary?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts