MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZR 105
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on re...vamping (???) the little silver bit with ZR decals on (it's a MK2 if it's any different).

I was originally going to paint it in situ with an ass load of frogtape, but I was told ages ago that you can pop that trim off somehow.

Is there a way of removing this? It doesn't need to be simple! :)

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,366 Posts
The rubbing strips are just held by plastic clips which hold through square holes in the door skin. To be safe from breaking the clips off, it needs the door card removing so that you can squeeze the clips to release them (usually, if you try to pull them off from the outside, you end up with most of the clips breaking).

To get the door card off, you first need to release the door pull trim (which needs doing carefully to avoid breaking the clips off that too!!). You can then get at the three screws that hold te main part of the door pull to the metal bracket behind the door card. There are another two screws through the door card - one (easily seen) towards the upper part of the door card near the front (in the recessed part that closes against the end of the dash moulding), and one through the front end of the door pocket. You also need to remove the door release lever plastic escutcheon (the middle part clips inside the outer part, and can be unclipped by carefully prising it off with a thin screwdriver). The clips that hold the door card along the bottom and up the rear can them be freed by prising the card away from the door with a large flat screwdriver (use a cloth to protect the paint!).

The silver part of the rubbing strips is painted in Silver Sparkle (same colour as the standard colour for the wheels) and the ZR lettering is a vinyl decal (the genuine decals can still be got from XPart resellers, part number DAF000280LFS, although a bit pricey at nearly a fiver each). Of course you may wish to use a different colour. There were vinyl decals that covered that whole part of the rubbing strip available in a range of custom designs, but I think the person who used to make them no longer does so?

·
Registered
MG ZR 105
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rubbing strips are just held by plastic clips which hold through square holes in the door skin. To be safe from breaking the clips off, it needs the door card removing so that you can squeeze the clips to release them (usually, if you try to pull them off from the outside, you end up with most of the clips breaking).

To get the door card off, you first need to release the door pull trim (which needs doing carefully to avoid breaking the clips off that too!!). You can then get at the three screws that hold te main part of the door pull to the metal bracket behind the door card. There are another two screws through the door card - one (easily seen) towards the upper part of the door card near the front (in the recessed part that closes against the end of the dash moulding), and one through the front end of the door pocket. You also need to remove the door release lever plastic escutcheon (the middle part clips inside the outer part, and can be unclipped by carefully prising it off with a thin screwdriver). The clips that hold the door card along the bottom and up the rear can them be freed by prising the card away from the door with a large flat screwdriver (use a cloth to protect the paint!).

The silver part of the rubbing strips is painted in Silver Sparkle (same colour as the standard colour for the wheels) and the ZR lettering is a vinyl decal (the genuine decals can still be got from XPart resellers, part number DAF000280LFS, although a bit pricey at nearly a fiver each). Of course you may wish to use a different colour. There were vinyl decals that covered that whole part of the rubbing strip available in a range of custom designs, but I think the person who used to make them no longer does so?
Wow thanks for such a detailed guide :D

I'll give this a go and post some pictures when I've done it!:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts