MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, i have purchased a New to me ecu for my MG ZS TD. I need to change the security fob but u don`t know where it is? Anyone know, can`t find a guide for removal anywhere/ I have the earlier two button fob. Any pointers appreciated.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,413 Posts
You can see here: http://www.alarmremotes.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lucas5assecurityecu.pdf

On the later models the 5AS is located behind the ashtray. Unscrew the Gear knob and remove the Gearlever surround console (self tappers at back and clips at the front). Remove the radio, use a small screwdriver and lever out the hazard warning & heated rear screen switches. Behind them are the 2 upper screws for the centre fascia, lever up the centre of the radio cage to access the centre fixing screw and remove. Remove the 2 fixing screws on either side of the fascia centre piece. The whole of the centre part of the fascia will now pull forward enough to allow disconnection of the clock/radio display.
Once the fascia centre has been removed the 5AS security ECU is accessible by removing the screws holding in the ashtray/cigarette lighter panel.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
Have removed the 5AS from three Rover 45s recently and, by coincidence, an MG ZS 120 today.

It involves a lot of work removing the centre consol, ashtray etc to get to the 5AS behind those components. Obviously hard to get to for anti-theft purposes. Be patient and take your time thinking about what you need to do as it's easy to break stuff if you're impatient.

It is possible to access the 5AS by tilting the centre consol sufficiently to access the two + drive screw that secure the 5AS behind the Consol. Be careful when removing the two multiplugs from the 5AS as they are fragile and will be held fast in their locations. Be patient and careful so all should be well.

Removing the ZS 120 ECU on the engine compartment bulkhead is no five minute job as it was on earlier pre-2001 cars. Again a metal anti-theft shield surround with two sheer bolts secures the ECU now in addition to two 10 mm flanged nuts. Previously four 10 mm Flange nuts removed in seconds. Best part of an hour working carefully now.

With the T-300 and appropriate remote fobs, used ones in good condition will be good, two can soon be programmed to match the 5AS.

By the way, if you have only ONE remote fob and want to clone another so you have a spare, when programming the additional fob, I've found if you do that one then the original no longer works. For that reason, you have to programme the original so that learns the new access code. I discovered that by trial and error the first time I tried to programme an additional fob. The original then no longer worked ... :(... until that was re-programmed ... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm stuck at step one - 'unscrew gearknob'. I've got a 2002 MG ZS. It seems pretty resistant to turning in any direction by hand. Any clues?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
May have been glued on with the strongest adhesive in the known Universe .... If twisting/lifting in any direction does release it, you may need to go heavy handed ... patiently. One of the same style Gear Knobs in my MG ZS Saloon comes away if I select Reverse Gear rapidly. The one on my ZT-T is stuck fast and impossible to remove by hand despite all my efforts. There are at least TWO fixing sleeves inside the knobs on those I have seen removed, Balck and white ones. Maybe more than two. If the "WRONG" knob has been forced onto the lever at some stage... maybe that's the problem. Guessing here but in previous ownership, who knows. Good luck when you try again .. strongly with patience. Let us know how things shape up. That way we all learn. One thing, keep your face away from above the knob when you give it the beans.. it could release suddenly and smash into your face or eyes... best avoided.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hahaha! There speaketh the voice of experience. I had the same experience when hitting the reverse side of an Allegro steering wheel to release it from the tapered section. Thanks for that info though

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,895 Posts
Me too when replacing the Theif damaged Steering wheel on my MG Metro back in the mid-1980s. Now, I undo, not remove, the big 33mm Nut securing the steering wheel on the coloumn a few rotations so it captures the Steering Wheel when it lets go as you pull it towards... your face....:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts