MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just looking for little help here, I maybe lucky but not getting my hopes up.

I have a 2009 mazda6 (mk/gen 2). When I got the car the dipped head lights were almost non existent, candles on the bonnet would have been better. So I went and got some Osram Nightbreakers, as I know how good they can be. Total night and day, I couldnt believe the change. I also checked with Mazda lads that I know and they said they would be ok. This was 6 months ago.

BUT, I was washing her the other day and noticed that the inside of my head lights seems to be melting. At the moment just starting to, just getting the bubbling. So it sees that my lights are getting to hot, or they are wrong for the car. I have asked a few mates and they have never heard of this before.

The lights have projectors, so I unsure is this could be a problem. But again no-one else I have spoken to have had any similar problems with them or heard of this before.

Im gonns have to replace the lights at some point soon, so was thinking of an upgrade at the same time. As I am thinking the problem is heat related, I was looking at going to full LED for the head lights, to keep the temp down. Looked at some kits and they dont seem to bad, gonna do some more later.

SO.......

Has anyone heard for this before?

Has anyone has any dealings with a full LED head light set up before?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a look around and cant find to much on my car for the LED's and nothing at all on the problem Im having.

I have had a quick look at the LED's bulbs, cant without spending large amounts I think I have found a suitable set on Amozon here.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Aftermarket LED headlight technology isn't good enough at the moment, so you would be better off addressing your existing issue with the headlights rather try to dodge around it. HID kits work well in projector headlights and as they can in 35w versions, may run cooler.

My other car is a gen 1 Mazda 6 and it too has rubbish projector headlights. Like you I have fitted Nightbreakers to improve output with success. You should not have melting headlights however. If you haven't already, try the Mazda 6 Owners Club forum to see if it's a common problem. Could be your projectors/ bulbs are misaligned, resulting in an incorrect beam pattern.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you reply LeRich.

Ye I have read that the aftermarket LED head lights are still in their early stages, but was thinking about the heat, led's run rather cool compared to normal bulbs.

Ive looked around a lot of the mazda forums, even had to sign up to a few. But I cant find anything along the lines of my problem. I will have a look in the morning about the alignment of them, but that may need to wait until its dark anyway.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
It might be worth removing your headlights and inspecting them and their supply wiring closely. Also check supply fuses to change they are the correct rating (bear in mind they'll be more than one).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be worth removing your headlights and inspecting them and their supply wiring closely. Also check supply fuses to change they are the correct rating (bear in mind they'll be more than one).
Ye thanks, never thought about the fuses like that.
I have checked and the near side is slightly hight, but only just, and thats the worst side at the moment. But looking at it, its even 'pita' to adjust them, wires and piping all over the place in the way of the adjusters.
Removing them is a a real pain on the Gen2, its a full bumper off job Im told. Wiring all seems ok, had a look at them after reading about some units with cheap HID kids melting the housing at the back. But I will re visit it and make sure.
Looks like my Saturdays fully booked now, with this, trying to find the knocking at the back and doing the p/s pump on my R25. Oh the joys. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts