MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From another thread, I have noticed that there seems to be a large difference between what is charged for a 1st service between MG approved garages, it might be useful for owners to provide some details of how much it cost them and when the service was carried out.

If servicing ends up markedly cheaper with another MG approved service agent then I don't mind travelling the extra to save what could be £100+, especially for the next service which is the 2nd one.

I'll start the ball rolling:

My 1.5 litre petrol Exclusive had its first service in May 2019 with Apple MG in Meopham and it cost me £204.96.

Cheers..

·
Registered
rover_600
95 Posts
My First service on my MG was carried out by Prossers in Glasgow the car was 11 months old and had covered 5496 miles from purchase new, the Service cost £2 17/- 8d. I will admit that it was a long time ago now.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My First service on my MG was carried out by Prossers in Glasgow the car was 11 months old and had covered 5496 miles from purchase new, the Service cost £2 17/- 8d. I will admit that it was a long time ago now.
Alan

What's that now if adjusted for inflation? 😄

Cheers..

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 1.5 litre petrol Excite had its first service in October 2019 BY Jermyn and Sons (Seaford MG) and it cost me £140.15 although apparently it should have been £171

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 1.5 litre petrol Excite had its first service in October 2019 BY Jermyn and Sons (Seaford MG) and it cost me £140.15 although apparently it should have been £171
I can't believe the difference between what you had paid and what I had for pretty much the same service.

Apple MG aren't even based in central London like the MG dealer so it's not even the rent of the garage that is the majority cost (Apple MG's garage is in the middle of a field).

Cheers..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can't believe the difference between what you had paid and what I had for pretty much the same service.

Apple MG aren't even based in central London like the MG dealer so it's not even the rent of the garage that is the majority cost (Apple MG's garage is in the middle of a field).

Cheers..
I know it's ludicrous. I did see on there paperwork I got back that they want to change the coolant at the 2nd service. No other Manufacturer does this as far as I know. Skoda was just went a cam belt and water pump is changed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My ZS Exclusive Auto first service at 3200 miles cost £248 at Bulldog Twyford even though there were no faults to be rectified. Looks like it might be worth travelling and a hotel stop for the second service.

·
Bob the Brit
mg_zs
12 Posts
My (Essex based) dealer quoted £30 a month for the first five years servicing, and MOTs when applicable, all parts and service up to 75k miles.

On reading these posts I've signed up!

·
Registered
rover_600
95 Posts
As many of you know I am up in Scotland or better known as the back of beyond. Our local MG dealer was independent up until recently when it became part of Scotland’s largest car dealership.
I know from walking Hamish in the morning and meeting the service manager for the dealership. He tells me that since they were taken over their hourly rate has soared to 200 pounds per hour, minimum charge is one hour then charged out in half hour segments.
This could be the reason for the wild pricing for a service.
Alan

·
Registered
other_mg
30 Posts
As a comparison, Blights motors located in Bideford have their servicing costs on their website:

View attachment 134156

Cheers..
I paid £124... ish, but was given a discount on top of that, as the first service was being paid for by the selling dealer. I was paid back the discounted rate, Just Paid £399 all in for 2nd service, as stated elsewhere on another post, Locally, Tolleys, Colchester £468.. Perkins Braintree £505. I believe I read somewhere that someone has paid about £560 , will try to find and quote.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts