MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After ordering the new HS, a DCT Exclusive in Blue, back in December which we'd swapped for a previous ZS EV order, the car finally arrived late last week. Off I popped to collect it, trading in a 2019 Mercedes C Class Estate that we just didn't get on with (awful autobox and, frankly, just too low for anyone over 35 to get in and out of)....

Sat in the dealership for well over an hour, sorting paperwork out which should have been half the time given how simple the exchange was, and come time to hand over keys, turns out the HS has a fault code following an overnight SIM update from SAIC HQ - but worse still, the dealerships computer hasn't been updated from same SAIC HQ so they cannot interpret or resolve the fault code. After hanging around, I ended up leaving the dealership with neither my own Mercedes or the new HS as the former was now registered as 'in trade' and the HS, showing the fault, couldn't be handed over!!! So I ended up leaving with a 'courtesy' 2017 GS!!! (which it has to be said, is a despicable car in every respect - truly agriculturally dreadful!)

I don't think I've ever had such a terrible new car buying experience! to drive in with a valuable 'trade-in' and leave the showroom with neither is a first for me!

Hoping to hear tomorrow when I might get the car we've now fully paid for, but has anyone else had any similar challenges when collecting new-era MGs?

I'd no idea they received over the air SIM updates, and that they can go so very wrong! What's worse is a dealer network that are seemingly left utterly helpless by what seems to be a bit of a shoddy UK HQ support. I won't name the dealer because this is not their fault (though they could've done the handover checks before I came to the showroom, truth be told) but is this a sign of growing pains to come? aspirations of double, even triple digit sales growth with a lack of backup?

Potentially worst of all, we've already got HS number 2 on order, to replace our existing ZS.....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Surprised you hate the GS so much, I thought the auto version I test drove was a much more appealing drive than the auto ZS. I really wanted to buy one and if it wasn't for the laughingly low trade in offered on my MG6 I would have. Glad I didn't as my circumstances are changing and the MG6 looks like it will be good for a while longer. For the same reason I haven't been tempted to take a test drive in the HS or EV, incase I wanted one :(.

I was also under the impression that UK MGs did not have the ability for any OTA updates or smartphone app communication due to GDPR restrictions. Apparently all communications currently go back to China. I was also told the SIM firmware is not installed for UK/European MGs as it was a unnecessary and pointless expense due to the GDPR restrictions.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think that the SIM card might be for emergency calling in case of a major accident. I think that Vauxhall call their system OnStar.

The European versions of the ZS EV have this feature.

Edit: eCall, as it is called on the MG is enabled on this car.

Page 20 of the manual mentions error codes with this:

HS owner's manual here:

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after a week of delay I was told it was ready.

Was a rushed handover in pouring rain. Got the car home, Touchscreen caked in some sort of grease that took 20 mins to remove, the dealer had not put the paid for mats in and worst of all - the Aircon system doesn’t work, won’t go into ‘auto’ mode and the passenger side is stuck in ‘LO’ setting so is freezing.

So it’s to go back after less than an hour. Absolutely dreadful experience from start to finish.

It’s taken what shine their was off the purchase, I’m so mad about it all I can’t even think about the car itself.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well, after a week of delay I was told it was ready.

Was a rushed handover in pouring rain. Got the car home, Touchscreen caked in some sort of grease that took 20 mins to remove, the dealer had not put the paid for mats in and worst of all - the Aircon system doesn’t work, won’t go into ‘auto’ mode and the passenger side is stuck in ‘LO’ setting so is freezing.

So it’s to go back after less than an hour. Absolutely dreadful experience from start to finish.

It’s taken what shine their was off the purchase, I’m so mad about it all I can’t even think about the car itself.
There is something not right with the way that the new car handover has been handled. The fact that the car has had 2 issues already probably means that either the BCA place located in Bristol dockyard are not checking the cars properly or the dealer is failing to carry out the PDI.

When I picked up my ZS the sales person spent at least 30 minutes in the showroom showing me how to operate the car and was testing things such at the HVAC and sat-nav to show that it worked as it should,

Poor, very poor service.

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is something not right with the way that the new car handover has been handled. The fact that the car has had 2 issues already probably means that either the BCA place located in Bristol dockyard are not checking the cars properly or the dealer is failing to carry out the PDI.

When I picked up my ZS the sales person spent at least 30 minutes in the showroom showing me how to operate the car and was testing things such at the HVAC and sat-nav to show that it worked as it should,

Poor, very poor service.

Cheers..
When I was originally supposed to collect they were only plugging it into the diagnostic after I’d completed all the paperwork. They’d had it a week already.

Then yesterday, after a week of delay following the fault the dealer guy offered to show me around - I declined given the amount of time I’d already spent there and it was late and rainy. My mistake but a courtesy ‘demonstration’ should not be a fault check really!

Await their response on Monday but two system faults so far aren’t inspiring confidence?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thankfully you do have 30 days to reject the car though that would be an issue given that had part exchanged your Mercedes for the HS.

Cheers..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts