MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 755 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Hmmmm.

A new model. Are people going to want the bragging rights that they have the new zs? Will they wait till after the new year? or even the new registration?

I think MG is a slow burner. I would love to be proven wrong. The zs will improve sales but it will have to have the impact that the range rover evoque had when first seen.

My guess is an optimistic 235.

When a few are on the road and people have seen the zs in the flesh, I can feel it in my waters that next March could be much higher.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts
Hmmmm.

My guess is an optimistic 235.

When a few are on the road and people have seen the zs in the flesh, I can feel it in my waters that next March could be much higher.
The "in the flesh" scenario can be a big changer. Over my car buying history now in excess of half a century, my early history trustingly and wrongly relied on so called "expert" Motoring Journo opinion to influence my car choice. Several times, I was wrongly put off buying what I later was to discover were very fine cars which suited my needs. Both company car purchases and privately bought new cars. My firm supplied me with what was voted COTY by a whole range of motoring journalists. It was the worst new car I've ever had the misfortune to have to drive. Within a very few years I soon changed my stance regarding the opinions and assessments of so called professionals ... particularly those journos who slavishly follow the Clarkson negative and biased approach to automotive journalism.

That's how I see the "in the flesh" scenario. Plus, with the expense impact of Christmas fast fading combined with the nicer weather and better daylight hours of Spring, folks [ car consumers ] will be more inclined to spend... which if our 24/7/365 rolling news reports can be relied on, not always the case, folks are spending much less currently.

Hence my conservative figure of only 213. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
My firm supplied me with what was voted COTY by a whole range of motoring journalists. It was the worst new car I've ever had the misfortune to have to drive.
Would be interesting to see a list of those. I recall the Talbot (Chrysler) Horizon once won it!

Found the list. Lots of Simcas (Horizon/ "Talbot Alpine"), Fiats and Alfas. You hardly actually see any of them. I note the SD1 Rover 3500 won one year!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Car_of_the_Year

I'm sure that at least one buyer went in to see the ZS and went out with a contract for a 3. We also see things like mother and daughter buying one ZS each. Still, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts

.... We also see things like mother and daughter buying one ZS each. Still, we'll see.
Pat... quick question... Who are your "We"?

Did someone actually observe that?

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
We also see things like mother and daughter buying one ZS each.
Pat... quick question... Who are your "We"?

Did someone actually observe that?
Well anyone who was following N T Shaw of Louth's Facebook page observed it, and David Smith and colleagues observed it at first hand.

The "we" is the MG Fan community keeping up with published information :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/NTSHAWOFLOUTH/posts/2068157063418483

"27 November at 14:17 ·

Miss Gemma Dillerstone from Mablethorpe collecting her new Arctic White MG ZS 1.5 DOHC VTI-Tech Exclusive SUV from sales manager David Smith this afternoon. Gemma was so impressed with the MG GS Exclusive Auto her mum purchased from us recently she decided she would buy a new MG ZS for herself. Thank you for choosing us to to supply your new MG Gemma. "

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts
Well anyone who was following N T Shaw of Louth's Facebook page observed it, and David Smith and colleagues observed it at first hand.

The "we" is the MG Fan community keeping up with published information :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/NTSHAWOFLOUTH/posts/2068157063418483

"27 November at 14:17 ·

Miss Gemma Dillerstone from Mablethorpe collecting her new Arctic White MG ZS 1.5 DOHC VTI-Tech Exclusive SUV from sales manager David Smith this afternoon. Gemma was so impressed with the MG GS Exclusive Auto her mum purchased from us recently she decided she would buy a new MG ZS for herself. Thank you for choosing us to to supply your new MG Gemma. "

Good to see that story reported. Thanks for posting it Pat.

Proof positive that the "in the flesh" experience works. As it often does.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
November 2017 registrations. I add a couple of other brands which now seem within potential reach or have been overtaken (neeyowm Abarth! Vroom Jeep! The car in front is an MG!)

The whole market is down 5%.

Nov 2017 (Nov 2016)

MG 472 (263)

Abarth 366 (291)
Alfa Romeo 391 (324)
Jeep 347 (735)
Ssangyong 234 (245)
Subaru 216 (219)

DS 530 (864)
smart 527 (921)

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

PS :discostu:

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts
November traditionally a slow month. So, the MG numbers appear to be on the move ... upwards in what we are told by "experts" currently is a depressed consumer environment.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
November traditionally a slow month. So, the MG numbers appear to be on the move ... upwards in what we are told by "experts" currently is a depressed consumer environment.
The market as a whole fell 5%. So although MG's volume wasn't quite double (up 79%), its market share has increased by more!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Encouraging results compared to the other niche players. A certain number of these registrations can be expected to be ZS dealer demonstrators however.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,899 Posts
Encouraging results compared to the other niche players. A certain number of these registrations can be expected to be ZS dealer demonstrators however.
Yes, agreed.

Lets say 50% are dealer demo registrations ( unlikely to be that many as so few dealerships ) the figures are as you say encouraging for this time of year. Be interesting to see if the level of registrations/sales is maintained. Time will tell and irrespective of Motoring Journo appraisals, if following "in the flesh" and "hands on" favourable experiences for the punters, the word gets round these ZSs are good to go, expect steady increases.

Car consumers have different criteria than most car enthusiasts. Two entirely different species.. ;)

P.S. The low mileage MG6 engine I transplanted into my MG ZT-T 1.8T has resulted in a fine car which is now my daily driver. Well pleased with the end product.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I think the supply of ZSs for the first orders has been quite restricted such that, had more been available, they would have been registered to customers.

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
DECEMBER GUESSES

MGJohn 297
batoutofhull 356
gnu 360 EDIT 400 :rofl:
GSi 450
Isto 473
patpending 523
adaveabbott 575
bopper 585
mattie007 650

Result: 454. GSi is the winner!

December registrations: you'd have to say that sales of ZS are going well with orders made a while ago only being fulfilled this month.

I note that December 2016 was a better month than November - maybe cars being registered to bag dealer bonuses. MG3 sales went right up from 182 to 276 and GS went from 81 to 91.
2016 year total was 4194.

MG has sold 3987 cars up to November 2017 so MG need just 208 registrations to beat 2016 (November 17 - 472).

My tip is quite an ambitious 523 registrations - needed for a nice round 4500!

41 - 60 of 755 Posts