MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum I have a 06 135 TF owned it for about a year and a half now. Absolutely love it.

I've just fitted a seat of roll hoops today. I know this have been discussed alot in the group but what are the best harness and bucket seats to fit? And where are the best points to mount the harness to?

If anyone have any pictures of rails and fitting it would be much appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
mgf
178 Posts
I drilled and then tubed my hoops and then put a nut and bolt through the tube for the top mounts. I attached the lap mounts to the original seat belt points with a longer bolt so I could keep the original seat belts to use when driving on the road. It is illegal in Australia to change the original seat belts to a race harness for road use without an expensive inspection. To tube a hole you find a steel or alloy tube with an internal diameter that fits the bolt you are going to use to attach the race harness. You then drill the hoops with a hole that allows that tube to slide in. That tube is then welded into the hoops to keep the hoops strength. On the seat the lap part of the harness must be bolted and the belts permanently attached. There is NO ROOM for the eye bolt method next to the tunnel. Well there is, but it requires a large lump hammer and some good solid hits to deform that tunnel.
If your hoops are attached to a square steel mount that runs across and under the T-Bar plastic finisher you can attach the top mounting points there. But again you must reinforce that bar around the holes you have drilled with additional steel plate welded in the inside of that box section that the hoops are attached to. The belts then run back away from the seats and wrapped under the box section and through the T-Bar holes you have cut using one of those multitools. If you are tall you do not have to wrap the belts around that box section and they can just come straight out and over your shoulders.
You cannot attach the belts to the tray where the engine access plate is because you cannot get the height or the correct angle for the belts to comply with race regulations.
I kept the original seats as the race harness really does locate you firmly. Replacing the seats means you either lose the sensor for the pretensioner of the original belts, or you spend a stack of time trying to get them to work with the new seats.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts