MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! A friend of mine bought a used mg tf for cheap, the only problem being that the clutch was stuck to the floor. I took the slave out, searched for leaks, none were found. After checking if the slave kept pressure and so did hoses I assembled it back. The stream from the hoses was pretty good, which makes me believe that the master cylinder is working right. The reservoir was empty, I topped it off, then started bleeding the slave. All good, the clutch was starting to raise until it was at the top.
After all that hassle I started the car and the car wont go into gear with the engine running and the clutch depressed. What might be causing that problem? The slave is moving 1-2 cm.
Also, the release arm is moving easy, I can move it with one finger. i ll post more info as per request

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
My guess would be the clutch friction plate is jammed on the splines or flywheel- I dont think you have much option but to drop the box and replace all 3 components of the clutch. Its obviously been standing for years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont believe that the problem is the clutch assembly
Because the he put it in second and drove it

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I dont believe that the problem is the clutch assembly
Because the he put it in second and drove it
if 'he' put it in second, thats just like putting the car in gear whan stationery- you dont need the clutch to select all the gears. If he can drive the car, I presume you only mean in 2nd gear- because the clutch isnt releasing the friction plate. to enable the 1st motion shaft to idle.

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
Apologies - it’s probably me, but I am not totally clear on this from the way the symptoms are described.
As I it, the clutch was originally inoperative due to slave cylinder issues.
Slave cylinder was ‘attended to’ and the clutch was operating as it should except the bite point was rather high. Correct?
I cannot quite understand that the bite point was assessed as being high, if you couldn’t select a gear. .??
Now you cannot select a gear, so has something changed?
If you were able to select a gear and assess the bite point was high, then I believe the clutch plate could not have been stuck.
However, if you could not select any gear following working on the slave, and the clutch feels OK, then indeed the plate could be stuck on the flywheel.
If so, Google ‘Freeing stuck clutch’ and carefully follow the procedure. It should not mean you will need to remove the gearbox.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the gearbox itself works good, all the gears work.

i bled the clutch,the slave works, the release arm moves freely but theres no resistence in it,the clutch is all the way up and gets back up now. The clutch pedal also has no resistence.

·
Registered
mg_tf
73 Posts
Hey guys! A friend of mine bought a used mg tf for cheap, the only problem being that the clutch was stuck to the floor. I took the slave out, searched for leaks, none were found. After checking if the slave kept pressure and so did hoses I assembled it back. The stream from the hoses was pretty good, which makes me believe that the master cylinder is working right. The reservoir was empty, I topped it off, then started bleeding the slave. All good, the clutch was starting to raise until it was at the top.
After all that hassle I started the car and the car wont go into gear with the engine running and the clutch depressed. What might be causing that problem? The slave is moving 1-2 cm.
Also, the release arm is moving easy, I can move it with one finger. i ll post more info as per request
You shouldn't be able to move the release are with one finger. As per previous comments you probably need to get inside the clutch housing to assess what the problem is. If its been standing for a prolonged period then this would be advisable.

·
Registered
rover_75
273 Posts
You shouldn't be able to move the release are with one finger. As per previous comments you probably need to get inside the clutch housing to assess what the problem is. If its been standing for a prolonged period then this would be advisable.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
684 Posts
If the clutch release arm can be moved with your fingers then it sounds to like the clutch fork has become disconnected from the release arm.

I assume when you say you can put it into gear, that the gears work. You are selecting a gear with the engine turned off, you cannot select a gear with the engine running?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, I can select alm gears withouut the engine running, and they are working, as I hear the gearbox goinf into 1,2,3,4,5,R

with the engine turned on, it wont go into gear
Also, If I leave it in any gear with the engine turned off abd try to start it, the car moves
i also disconnected the line from the master cylinder and thats the amount of liquid it squirts out

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
As mentioned in Post no. 5 - simply Google ‘Freeing stuck clutch’ or similar. Too many safety issues etc. to describe in detail here, so just carefully follow what you read.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
says something about putting it in gear and starting it.
As I stated, he started the car in second gear and drove for 2-3 miles to my house

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
If I’m right in understanding what you are saying, ‘he’ must have selected second gear (with foot on the inoperative clutch?), turned the key and the car simply hopped forward until it gained a bit of speed. It was then driven for a couple of miles without having to stop, until it arrived at its new home and the car stalled.
Is this a correct description of its journey?
If so - sounds as if the clutch is stuck, so just read and carry out the procedure in an attempt to free it. Of course, there may be more than that wrong, but....

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
684 Posts
If it were my car, I'd be pulling the gearbox away from the engine and see what's going on inside. You don't have to remove the gearbox from the car in order to gain enough room between the gearbox and the engine to inspect and change the clutch, clutch fork, the lever. There's a good how-to here (it's what I followed when I did this job): How to replace clutch and flywheel (picture heavy)

·
Registered
mg_tf
251 Posts
Do you mean you will see about trying the stuck clutch plate procedure, or see about starting to remove the gearbox?
Personally, starting to dismantle this at this this stage would not be my first port of call, but of course, it’s your call.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ll first try the stuck clutch procedure.
But to answear to your post above
He did put it in second, no foot on the clutch , started the car, the car gained a little bit lf speed and he drove it to my house.
After I filled the clutch master cylinder, bled the clutch, it rised to the level of the other pedals but it was so soft, and always returing to the level of the other pedals.
If you still believe the clutch is stuck, I ll do the procedure, as I read on the internet, it involves pumpingg the brakes a few times, putting the car in 4th gear and trying to start it, am I right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts