MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? I am looking at a 160 which has overheated - don't know yet if repairable I like the colour (rare) and would like an auto. I know the auto was a 120 engine and I believe setup for different torque. One option I see is to change both the engine and transmission. No doubt a bunch of other parts. Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
rover_25
100 Posts
the autobox will not cope with the 160 engine, it just copes with the 120 engine, it will fit on but it wont cope with the extra torque

·
Registered
mg_tf
149 Posts
Steptronic auto box sounds like fun, but I've heard it can be a bit lame and dissapointing. Re overheated. Read; headgasget failier. They can be fixed just as the rest of the range can. Just fit all new gasgets (not just the head g, or you're waisting your time) take the opportunity to do the water pump and cambelt too. When my 2002 TF160 was done. The guy dropped the whole lot still on the subframe out of the bottom and a few other bits where then doen as it was easy to get at them. Don't forget to fit the underfloor stainless pipes as well. Check the radiator is good too. Good luck, these are much more car than it will cost you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts