MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Admin please let me know if this is not allowed. I have an MG TF 115 which has just failed the MOT. It needs the front and rear suspension sorting. I have priced up the parts at about £350.00. However I don't think I will get around to doing this. The car has 98,000 miles on the clock and the engine is good. I had the Cam belt, water pump and Head Gasket done a couple of years ago (probably 10,000 miles at most). I also had the coolant pipes replaced. I can supply receipts for this. The body work is shabby, but passable. Is this car worth anything to anyone on here as it pains me to scrap it?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Would help if you posted rough location and also reg number so members can check exactly what it failed on and if you were to sell where it could be picked up, it may not be as bad as what you think...or it could be worse, with this info members here would be able to give more accurate responses to a value on repair costs or value if you were to sell complete or if scrapping value of parts....I could give a rough rundown of part values but like most here we'd like to see it kept on the road if feasible

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks dert. It is VK54NVA and I am located near Bicester in Oxfordshire.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ok, MOT failures don't look good and to be honest, the way the examiner has written the faults is confusing, If my assumptions are correct and a buyer has the tools and can do the work themselves they looking at around £171.00 not £350.00 for the parts which would also cover doing the work on the advisories as well. however; my assumptions below are based on what I thinks some of the terminology on the failure means:

I assume the insecure steering linkage is track-rod end...or it could be the clamps which hold the rack into place are loose, which, if you've had new lower arms fitted in the past maybe the issue if the person who changed them didn't tighten them up properly.

I also assume the front lower and upper anti-roll bar linkage joints are basically drop links and if so wouldn't be a hard job to undertake....Toyota Cammery 1991 model drop-links fit and are quite cheap

The rear brakes are a common issue, this may be able to be sorted out by using a brake wind-back tool to push the piston in then pump the brake piston back out and wind back in a few times...just be careful not to pump too far where the piston pops out other option would be to remove and refurbish off the car or fit a new one.

Suspension bushes can be changed easily enough if a press is available and the suspension arm pins, there was a recent post from a member showing how these are renewed.

There are some very good "how toos" in the forum on how to change all the pieces needed so anyone buying would have a good resource.

I've listed at the bottom of this post on what parts are needed and also where they can be purchased

On the selling or breaking front, if you got somewhere to store parts you'll get more breaking the car, if it has a genuine catalitic convertor fitted you could be looking at anything between £250 - £500 just for that!! 4 wheels will sell around £80 - £130 depending on condition of tyres, soft-top in good condition around the £100 - £150, seats if good...£40 - £60, engine being a 1.6 is likely to command a lower price than the 1.8 but even with the mileage you should get around £80 - £100, headlights around £25 each, rear lights around £10 each, gearbox around £40 - £60 air vents/centre consul around £35 and then there is a lot more items I've not mentioned.

Selling complete don't expect to get more than current scrap value for it, maybe slightly more from an enthusiast if they want to get it back up and running and don't need to pay someone to do the work required. As you've put your location it will make it easier for anyone interested in buying :)

Good luck with finding a buyer :)

For Toyota CAMRY 91-01 FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR DROP LINK ROD x2 | eBay £11.25

Starline Ball Joint | Car Parts 4 Less X 2 = £14.90

Genuine QH Track Tie Rod End Pair Fits MG F & MG TF 19952005 | eBay £14.99

Wishbone / Control / Trailing Arm Bush fits MG MGF RD 1.8 95 to 02 Mounting B&B 5055592699892 | eBay X 4 = £53.40

MGF & MGTF UPPER SUSPENSION ARM REPAIR KIT FOR FRONT OR REAR RBR000020 6F4 | eBay X 2 = £40

MG TF UPPER REAR SUSPENSION BALL JOINT SET / PAIR OEM QUALITY INC NYLOCK NUTS | eBay £34.95

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for all the effort put in. I have sold the vehicle to someone who has the time and space to do this work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts