MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just purchased a mgtf sunstorm 1.8 135bp 55 plate. I took it for a good thrashing on Saturday and it drives very nice showed no signs of overheating and coolant levels remained good. My question if anybody has any advice is it's done 47000 miles and no service history that shows it having had a head gasket change. So is this a problem I will just have to encounter in the near future or can any preemptive measure be taken.

Cheers James

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
If you are not losing coolant and having to top up regularly, don’t worry about the HG, just enjoy. :D

Any record of the timing belt being done?

·
Premium Member
mgf
178 Posts
The head gasket problem is not dependent on distance. If you warm the car up while driving and do not exceed 4000rpm until the oil NOT the water temp is at operating temp (about 90C) the gasket could last for ages. I have owned an MGF for 15 years and an MGTF 160 for 4 years. I race both cars so the cars are used. The MGF has 240,000Klm on the clock and two HGF's. The MGTF has had one HGF and only 50,000Klm on the clock. The TF was not looked after very well. The cars are driven daily in the Australian summer. As gnu mentions, timing belt. Get it changed and the V belt for the alternator as well. Replace the water pump and inspect all coolant hoses. Get a Sharpie and write on the inside of the boot lid when they were changed and the mileage too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts