MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking a toss up between water pump and IMG from what people are saying. Anyone any idea how much they cost to get replaced?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all!
I'm a new member here so please go easy on me!
I bought my MG ZR about 6 weeks ago and it has started overheating the last couple of days. If I drive around town it seems ok. But when I take it on to the major roads and hit 60-70 mph the temperature guage rises to the 3/4 mark instead of just below halfway.
I can't see any signs of leakage from the radiator or hoses although put a pot of Radweld Plus in this morning as it has been losing a small amount of coolant/water. This seemed to help earlier on today but just been out now and used a bit of speed and the temperature guage went high again, although this time the coolant level hasn't dropped.
If it helps- when the temperature guage goes high, as I come off the gas it seems to drop back to normal quite quickly.
I've not experienced an overheating problem like this before with any other make of car so hopefully someone here can give me a clue or has experienced this before!

Jim
I've got the same folt my coolent
Hi all!
I bought my MG ZR about 6 weeks ago and it has started overheating the last couple of days. If I drive around town it seems ok. But when I take it on to the major roads and hit 60-70 mph the temperature guage rises to the 3/4 mark instead of just below halfway.
I can't see any signs of leakage from the radiator or hoses although put a pot of Radweld Plus in this morning as it has been losing a small amount of coolant/water. This seemed to help earlier on today but just been out now and used a bit of speed and the temperature guage went high again, although this time the coolant level hasn't dropped.
If it helps- when the temperature guage goes high, as I come off the gas it seems to drop back to normal quite quickly.
I've not experienced an overheating problem like this before w
Hi all!
I've not experienced an overheating problem like this before with any other make of car so hopefully someone here can give me a clue or has experienced this before!

Jim
I've got the same folt my coolent it's boiling over

·
Registered
rover_sd1
453 Posts
For future reference if you have access to a hose pipe . Block the water tank with a rag wrapped around the Hose pipe. Remove the bleed pipe from the radiator. Start the engine and run at 2000 rpm turn on hose. The combined pressure blows out all air from the head. Make sure that your coolant ratio is around 40%. To do such needs patience and a bit of maths as you will be emptying the water tank only then refilling with 90% glycol. 3 x1lt bottles will do it with some spare mixed for later.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
453 Posts
For future reference if you have access to a hose pipe . Block the water tank with a rag wrapped around the Hose pipe. Remove the bleed pipe from the radiator. Start the engine and run at 2000 rpm turn on hose. The combined pressure blows out all air from the head. Make sure that your coolant ratio is around 40%. To do such needs patience and a bit of maths as you will be emptying the water tank only then refilling with 90% glycol. 3 x1lt bottles will do it with some spare mixed for later.
This may help someone. I had to repair the engine water supply on my TDI . I had forgotten my own advice. I just fill it with water and coolant The result was a boiling sound at the water tank when driven. The water temp gauge was normal. If the cap is removed water literally gushed out. Under normal circumstances one would think HG leak. This is not the case never open the tank cap until the motor has cooled. The water boiling while the water temp gauge show normal is the result of an air trap in the cylinder head. If you allow the motor to cool the water level drops to fill the head. Top up then take a short run then switch off for a few hours the vacuum caused by the expanding steam in the head in twill suck water into the head cavities as it cools. not had a problem since.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts