MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This has been on their site fro some time now, so not new
My issue seems to be related with the app: I connected my Rolec charger to the car, then turned off the circuit breaker ( as it was trying to start charging immediately), then at 00:30 turned the switch back and the car started to charge as normal
So to me this business of the car going to sleep and not accepting a charge is nonsense ( at least for me). the issue is that the app is not "smart" enough ( pun intended) to tun on smart charging when is required. maybe is simply that it has not figured out the correct tariff, or has a problem with the clock ( who knows), and the developers seem to concentrate on the wrong issue.
Anyway, Have sent a couple of emails to ev energy and all is completely silent. where is that fix they promised a few weeks back?
My guess is that MG is a small fish and if all the EVs but MG work with Rolec, then it just don't justify spending time and money in fixing it ( its far easier to blame MG, anyway)
Thanks
Other people on the above Facebook forum have come to the same conclusion that it is the charger:

Cheers..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try contacting MG directly......I have done with my non charging issue and they rang me back within 5 days... The representative was very nice in their approach and explained that there should now not be an issue as long as the car has accepted the update...The have advise me to approach the dealer again to request they check that the update was accepted and if not get them to raise ' a technical case' which they say will then come go direct to MG...........I am beginning to think that the dealer needs to pull their finger out before MG get involved but am at least confident that the issue will be resolved....... I will keep you all posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did contact the dealer, who forced me to take the car to the workshop ( although the problem may not be the car) and although they said it was updated, I still have the same problem. Who did you speak with? It seems my dealer us not even aware there is a problem!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went on to MG website and click on 'contact us' ...there you can place a brief description of the issue .......Like you, the dealer seems uninterested now they have sold me the car but they underestimate me !!! I also train electricians on EV charging so am not about to be fobbed off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks, just followed the same process. Let's see what they tell me.
Just out of curiosity, have they resolved your issue?, I think taking the car to the workshop more than once is unacceptable. If there is a problem they should take it, then keep the car as much as they need to fix it ( giving us a replacement car, and compensation for the troubles). Surely if your new car has a defect you expect the dealer to fix it, instead of giving you excuses!. Is that asking too much?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree .. but your gripe is with the dealer and not necessarily the manufacturer...... I am waiting for the dealer to respond to my request to check the car has had the update..If I do not get a reply then I will just turn up and expect to be dealt with..I will keep you posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your reply
You may be right, but ultimately the manufacturer IS responsible, so they should be advising all its dealers of the situation, not the other way. You hear on the news of an issue detected with a car, waht do the do: they ALWAYS contact their customers when they find an issue. Here it looks like they are HIDING the issue ( for sure until they find a fix). This is what I hate about the way this has been dealt by everybody involved: the lack of TRANSPARENCY and ACCOUNTABILITY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if my problem is the same. Just got our MG ZS EV after having a leaf for 2 years. We have two Pod-Point chargers one tethered and one not. As soon as I plug the car in and lock the door the car starts to charge but stops after two minutes. This happens on both chargers. I have tried the granny charger and that is fine. I have also tried the local Pod-Point at Lidl and that works OK as well.
i have contacted Pod-Point but have heard nothing from them.

Any ideas on what to try next?
We’ve got exactly the same problem!!!! Our Pod-Point was just fitted today.
Awaiting Engineer to ring tomorrow......

·
Registered
21 Posts
inside each charger is a , mode 3 controller, which is the brains behind the unit.. If other chargers are working when you plug them in then I suggest that the controller within the charger is not talking to your car properly. Sounds more like a charger issue than the car

·
Registered
21 Posts
We’ve got exactly the same problem!!!! Our Pod-Point was just fitted today.
Awaiting Engineer to ring tomorrow......
What i would suggest is that you try similar chargers of the same manufacturer, if you can find them and see if the problem persists...If it does not then this points to your charger...If you still have the problem with other chargers then this points to the car...hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
What i would suggest is that you try similar chargers of the same manufacturer, if you can find them and see if the problem persists...If it does not then this points to your charger...If you still have the problem with other chargers then this points to the car...hope this helps
Thanks will do that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks will do that!
Have now tried other Pod-Point chargers with our cable and they work, it’s just the unit at home that doesn’t work. It charges for a couple of minutes then cuts out. The engineer has been back and is mystified. We are trying a different car on our unit tomorrow to check it’s not the car, then a whole new unit ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well..... most mysterious......
New Pod-Point will charge the Pod-Point fitters car(not an MG) but not ours or the MG now lent to us by the dealer.
We are thinking it must be a specific fault with these MGs and home Pod-Points. The manufacturers fix mentioned in earlier posts was done before we bought it.
The dealer is currently talking to MG and the electrician to Pod-Point .......

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK..sounds like same as mine...bought December....I E Mailed MG direct and they suggested speak to dealer...Spoke to dealer and they say MG should have udated software before sending out !!! Have it booked in for monday so hopefully will be resolved

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK..sounds like same as mine...bought December....I E Mailed MG direct and they suggested speak to dealer...Spoke to dealer and they say MG should have udated software before sending out !!! Have it booked in for monday so hopefully will be resolved
Our dealer is going to update something in ours too.... though they weren’t hopeful that was the issue....
Good luck and let’s let each other know progress shall we?

·
Registered
21 Posts
update..They have had a look and sent some detials to MG...MG have come back with an update so Ineed to go back to dealer to get update installed...Happening next Tuesday...Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've read elsewhere that there is a new update dated 20-01-20 so this might improve the situation that people are having with charging.

Cheers..

·
Registered
7 Posts
update..They have had a look and sent some detials to MG...MG have come back with an update so Ineed to go back to dealer to get update installed...Happening next Tuesday...Fingers Crossed
Hi there
Our dealer has just installed an update- no joy- same issue - it charges a couple of seconds then stops. This only happens on home Pod-Point.
It’s going back to the dealer at the weekend......
Do let me know how you get on...
Thanks

21 - 40 of 60 Posts