MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took mine in on Monday and they looked at the data for the car.... They then issued a 'technical case' back to MG who have issued a further 'update' for my car..Am taking it back in on Tuesday so lets see what this new update does.....By The Way, when I spoke direct to MG they indicate that if the dealer cannot correct issue then get the dealer to issue a ' technical case' back to MG and they ill look into it......This may be what you need to do

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took mine in on Monday and they looked at the data for the car.... They then issued a 'technical case' back to MG who have issued a further 'update' for my car..Am taking it back in on Tuesday so lets see what this new update does.....By The Way, when I spoke direct to MG they indicate that if the dealer cannot correct issue then get the dealer to issue a ' technical case' back to MG and they ill look into it......This may be what you need to do
Thanks. I think our dealer is really trying and already talking to MG about this.....
I wonder how widespread the problem is....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does seem to be common but we must keep faith...we are after all the pioneers for EV cars and should expect some teething problems as long as it is sorted...However as you have tries other charging points and it works does point to an issue with your charger...Could be the engineer needs to replace with another model...Please keep me posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if my problem is the same. Just got our MG ZS EV after having a leaf for 2 years. We have two Pod-Point chargers one tethered and one not. As soon as I plug the car in and lock the door the car starts to charge but stops after two minutes. This happens on both chargers. I have tried the granny charger and that is fine. I have also tried the local Pod-Point at Lidl and that works OK as well.
i have contacted Pod-Point but have heard nothing from them.

Any ideas on what to try next?
[/QUOT
I have this issue too.(Also had leaf that charged without issue previously) Did you get a solution? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
if the LEAF charged successfully from the same charging unit then this would suggest communication between car and charger is not right.. I would go back to car manufacturer or dealer to ask that they investigate...Ps my MG is having an update as we speak...I we provide feedback once i pick up the car...fingers crossed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have this issue too.(Also had leaf that charged without issue previously) Did you get a solution? Thanks
Good news ... just had the new update installed by dealer ( the 2020 version) and it works... car now goes to sleep and responds when power is turned on ...car now charges...Yippee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good news...Ther new software update ( the 2020 version) has worked !! After car goes to sleep , the car now responds to power being switched on at charger and takes a charge...

So if you are still having problems I suggest the following:

Ask dealer to obtain details of current software installed from car
Send to MG for response
Hopefully MG will send back the software update
Dealer to install software

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for responding but the issue I am experiencing is slightly different to yours (but same as Brace Brace and Jennypeter mentioned earlier in this thread). My car disconnects from a charge that starts successfully, but after two minutes (or thereabouts) shuts off the connection. It charges OK at other charge points and rapid chargers but can't get a sustained charging session at home. MG deny all knowledge, Rolec advise to call installers (but that was 5 years ago!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you tell me if the green light on the charger goes blue when the charge sudenly stops ..or does the charger light go off altogether

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok..also do you have a basic lead which may have come with the car.. this enables you to plug into a standard house socket...if you do have one, can you try to charge the car from this and see if the car stops charging after a few minutes..l will await some feedback

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok..also do you have a basic lead which may have come with the car.. this enables you to plug into a standard house socket...if you do have one, can you try to charge the car from this and see if the car stops charging after a few minutes..l will await some feedback
Yes we have the home charger and have tried that too. Same thing happens, car starts to charge and then shuts down after a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
oh dear...I was hoping it would work.... My only other suggestion is to go onto OLEV website and there you will find all the registered installers for EV...Each one will be registered for specific chargers...I would choose one which matches your charger and give them a call...but ask if they repair faults as some will only be skilled at installation work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok thanks, I will have a look. Hopefully Jennypeter or Brace Brace will update the forum with their inexpensive and straight forward solutions!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Someone on SpeakEV has commented on why this is happening with some smart chargers:

Source URL:

Is anyone sucessfully schedule charging with the updated firmware? please shout as data points are needed

Once again it looks like insufficient development has been the cause of this issue.

Much like the random stalling 1.5 litre NSE+ engine, the GPF regen issues with the 1.0 litre SGE engine and now the charging issues with the EV version, SAIC should really be spending more resources on trying to fix these issues before releasing the products on to the market.

Cheers..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got fed up with waiting for Rolec/MG to fix the schedule charging issue - besides all the promises from Rolec that it would be fixed in a week ( this was 3 weeks ago), still cannot schedule a charge for cheaper tariff time
So I found a DIY solution: I have replaced the Circuit Breaker with a "smart" wifi one and works perfectly!. I have schedule the turning-on turning-off cycle on the ewelink app and is perfect: no more charging at a high rate!
See some pictures of the installed module
Just one thing: this can be dangerous, so don't do it yourself unless you are confident of working with High voltages, ask an electrician to do it. Obviously this won't work for everybody, but if you , like me are tired of all the lies, then giv eit a try
Bought on ebay from this seller:
Household Intelligent WiFi Circuit Breaker Remote Control APP Voice Control M4F2 | eBay

Any questions, let me know

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts