MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that we've got more of these vehicles on the road in the U.K now, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread with a list of the known issues that has been plaguing the MG ZS.

Feel free to add more and state if the problem has been rectified by MG or not.

1.5 litre DVVT engine stalling issues - Acknowledged by MG and rectified by the dealer.

Driver's one touch electric window going down instead of up - Acknowledged by MG, repairs carried out by the dealer.

Rust issues on white models. No resolution by MG.

1.0 litre TGI engine PPF issues. No resolution by MG.

Loud harmonic whining noises in gearbox when either reversing or moving off in 1st gear - Acknowledged by MG as a characteristic of the car.

Loud clonking noises when turning full lock in the steering.

Clutch in the manual model very jerky. Sometimes an attempt to resolve this is carried out by dealers.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jerky clutch

In my particular model, I think that the clutch might be underspecced for the car as compared to my old Seat Ibiza 1.2 litre 3 cylinder car, the clutch isn't as smooth when changing gear even if you match the revs.

I think that some MG3 owners have had clutch related problems on their not so old cars so it could be that the 1.5 litre engine is killing the clutch with too much torque.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine stuttering when cold

I forgot to mention that in my vehicle, when the engine is very cold, e.g. on a very cold winter's night, for the first few hundred metres the car's engine feels very lumpy and stutters but after when it has been driven the problem goes away.

This does not happen when it is summer time or the engine is already warmed up.

I wonder if this is because the engine oil isn't at the right viscosity and then once it is slightly warmed up it runs much better?

The vehicle was looked at by the dealer at the same time as the stalling issues and whilst they seemed to have succeeded in getting rid of the stalling issue when compared to before, the stuttering when cold still is present.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parker review of MG ZS with clutch issue after 4 months

In their own words

In my view, these cars look lovely on the outside but they are riddled with issues inside. Had the car 4 months and the clutch was needing replacement. MG tried to blame it on my driving style but I've never damaged a clutch in 18 years. Due to MG arguing about the faulty car, independent engineers report was carried out. It identified car as having issues from manufacture. It was an enormous mission to get the repairs done under warranty but after a fight, MG relented. Car is in my view made of cheap parts that are unreliable. Car continues to stall at random putting road users as well as myself at risk. MG customer service is awful. Cannot wait to get rid of this car. Worst, very worst car I've ever bought. My first and definitely last brand new car I buy. Avoid these if you want a reliable car.

How reliable do you find the car?
Dangerous stop/start system that causes the car to stall randomly. Cheap parts that are not fit for purpose

Source URL:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/mg/zs/suv-2017/excite-15-dohc-vti-tech-5d/owner-reviews/20190612081642/

Cheers..

·
Registered
mg_zs
6 Posts
Worst car ever owned!

I posted when problems first developed with my ZS Auto. I described as a 'misfire' and was told by the dealer's service dept that it was the particulate filter regeneration and nothing could be done. It had got worse and worse. It is a disaster! An RAC independent inspection funded by the finance company even said that the it could create a 'dangerous environment' for the vehicle and the driver. The dealership won't accept 'rejection' of the car saying it is a 'characteristic' (yes, that old chestnut) and have offered to buy it back at 30% reduction after 4 months and 2,900 miles, which is less than 'WeBuyAny Car' offered! So MG dealers don't seem to have a lot of faith in this model. Anyway, watch this space.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
After dealing with Vauxhall Finance, the rust issues seems to be worth than just white cars.

MG Customer service and especially the guy in customer relations is a nightmare.

I seriously want rid but need to stay in for the long haul with Vauxhall finance to get a resolution. They are not impressed and now looking to do engineer reports on the rust.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After dealing with Vauxhall Finance, the rust issues seems to be worth than just white cars.

MG Customer service and especially the guy in customer relations is a nightmare.

I seriously want rid but need to stay in for the long haul with Vauxhall finance to get a resolution. They are not impressed and now looking to do engineer reports on the rust.
I am glad to hear that Vauxhall finance are taking this very seriously.

I also have my car on the 5 year finance so it would be good to have them on-side if anything goes wrong.

It is such a shame as MG Motor UK are just about to get more plaudits because their ZS EV model has been well received by the car magazines.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, anyone?

Cheers..

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Parker review of MG ZS with clutch issue after 4 months

In their own words

In my view, these cars look lovely on the outside but they are riddled with issues inside. Had the car 4 months and the clutch was needing replacement. MG tried to blame it on my driving style but I've never damaged a clutch in 18 years. Due to MG arguing about the faulty car, independent engineers report was carried out. It identified car as having issues from manufacture. It was an enormous mission to get the repairs done under warranty but after a fight, MG relented. Car is in my view made of cheap parts that are unreliable. Car continues to stall at random putting road users as well as myself at risk. MG customer service is awful. Cannot wait to get rid of this car. Worst, very worst car I've ever bought. My first and definitely last brand new car I buy. Avoid these if you want a reliable car.

How reliable do you find the car?
Dangerous stop/start system that causes the car to stall randomly. Cheap parts that are not fit for purpose

Source URL:

MG ZS SUV 2017 Owners Ratings | Parkers

Cheers..
had our ZS since new in 2018. Today get a call from dealer that I need a new clutch. 16000 carefully driven miles. In literally 100s of 1000s of miles ive never had to replace a clutch. Ever

gearbox coming out tomorrow but already dealer has said it’s worn out and not part of warranty as over 2 years old. Just!

not a happy owner right now. Will report back once the final diagnostics are complete. hopefully MG do the right thing

·
Registered
79 Posts
had our ZS since new in 2018. Today get a call from dealer that I need a new clutch. 16000 carefully driven miles. In literally 100s of 1000s of miles ive never had to replace a clutch. Ever

gearbox coming out tomorrow but already dealer has said it’s worn out and not part of warranty as over 2 years old. Just!

not a happy owner right now. Will report back once the final diagnostics are complete. hopefully MG do the right thing
Tell the garage that if the clutch is not under warranty after only 16000 miles then it is not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
mg_zs
15 Posts
Given that we've got more of these vehicles on the road in the U.K now, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread with a list of the known issues that has been plaguing the MG ZS.

1.5 litre DVVT engine stalling issues - Acknowledged by MG and rectified by the dealer.

Driver's one touch electric window going down instead of up - Acknowledged by MG, repairs carried out by the dealer.

Loud harmonic whining noises in gearbox when either reversing or moving off in 1st gear - Acknowledged by MG as a characteristic of the car.

Clutch in the manual model very jerky. Sometimes an attempt to resolve this is carried out by dealers.

Cheers..

Cheers..
Hi I have had my 2018 zs auto from new it still has the gearbox issue where after a long decent if you stop or almost stop the gearbox does not change up and you have to place in neutral and back to drive while still on the move, I know mine is not the only one as someone else has the same problem and both from the same dealer here in Seaford, MG are not interested. Also my car has the misfire / shuddering every so often again MG is not interested shame because it spoils a nice car that as only done 9000 miles and is otherwise reliable.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts