MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I've decided to bring you along of my MG ZS 1.8 turbo build.

Couple of days ago I purchased an MG ZS. The previous owner has told me it has been converted 1.8 engine and running gear. The car also has the full kit on it. Front wings, side skirts and the wing.

I have purchased the car for £230 and is bought as a lengthy project. I am a technician with 9 years BMW experience but have changed jobs so this is to keep me ticking over. I bought the car as a non runner.

The plan for the car is as follows:

Get the engine running!
Tidy up the bodywork and interior.
General service inc brakes.
Install coilovers.
New wheels.
Wheel alignment.
Turbocharged!
MOT.

This will be my forever car. My plan is to have this vehicle in my family for the rest of my days. Will one day be my newborn sons car. This will not be an overnight build but I will see it through!

As said I am BMW technician and have no clue about the MG engines, chassis. This forum seems very switched on so I will have many questions on the way depending on the question I may start another thread but will update this thread on what the issue was, and how I overcame it.

I have attached a picture of the car (not the best) I will update with more photos tomorrow in the light.

Hope to see what the forum thinks of the plan! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE got a new battery today and tried to fire the engine. It ran for about 30 seconds and the died. I managed to do this a couple of times. The new battery is now drained so good news, the engine runs just need to figure out why it is dying. If you have any idea feel free to have an input. Also took some photos of the car in the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like an exceptionally good deal for £230!

How is it underneath for rust, specifically the jacking points and floorpan?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You will discover that:
1 It's basically a Honda Civic
2 It's one of the best handling saloon cars around
3 It's great on track especially with more power, ie turbo 1.8 or 2.5V6
4 You will grow to love it!

Some parts are beginning to get difficult to find but there is a roaring trade in parts from broken cars as many owners can't be assed to spend the money on doing the job properly and keeping their car on the road.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
The 2.0T T16 T-Series engine out of the R8/Coupe cars sits quite at home in the ZS engine bay.

·
Registered
MG ZS 120
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for all of your input. Just a wee update. Bought a set of spark plugs, a new battery and a fuel filter. The plan is at the moment to get the engine that's currently in there to run and possibly turbocharge so the engine now fires but only runs for a around 30 seconds.

·
Registered
rover_25
30 Posts
Thank you so much for all of your input. Just a wee update. Bought a set of spark plugs, a new battery and a fuel filter. The plan is at the moment to get the engine that's currently in there to run and possibly turbocharge so the engine now fires but only runs for a around 30 seconds.
Dont forget the pollen filter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts