MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,852 Posts

i did see some very nice examples at POL last year, saw a couple of top spec 75,s aswell with the huuuuge front grill that look like an audi now they do look nice.
saying that there isnt much power from such a big engine and top speed is hardly mind blowing a 2 litre evo, scooby or skyline would put these to shame plus you get 4 wheel drive. AH the skyline, now that was quick. its handling, top speed and 0 to 60 was awsome and mpg was much better than the v8.
in its defense i do love a powerfull rear wheel drive car, these are nice cars if you like spending most of your time at the fuel pump lol

·
Registered
mg_zs
44 Posts
I'm with you on the evo's and skylines, but I am a bit of a jap slag :)

But there is something refreshingly old school about the 260, big displacement simple engine and rwd, I would have to drive one with a chest wig firmly in place.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
But what you've got to remember is, these cars were first in pre production in 2002, so yeah compared to the stuff of today they are slower. Indeed not much power, but that's how American engines are, big and lazy. Yet the scope for increasing power is plenty ;)

·
Registered
mg_zs
44 Posts
Supercharged american v8 in a british car, filth haha, can see these getting to a low point then appreciating in value as they're an oddity, possible investment for the future?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Supercharged american v8 in a british car, filth haha, can see these getting to a low point then appreciating in value as they're an oddity, possible investment for the future?

If you can ever find one XD

I've had my eyes out for one for a long while and would genuinely consider trading my evo for one.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
They are pretty much at a low point now. Can be picked up for about £5k for a 'well used' example and not much on the history part right through to examples with 15k on the clock and a history folder thicker then original manual lol!

·
Registered
mg_zs
2,852 Posts

2002 pre production, the skyline was N plate came with lots of toys inc tv long before 2002 and would blow a 260 into the weeds lol. picked one up for less than 3 grand a few years back with les than 40000 miles and it ran sweet as a nut. lets just say i am 100% sure it would do 165mph but never on a public motorway though lol.
if you are buying a car for power and performance which these are supposed to offer i would feel short changed lol.
over priced and over weight, ok if you are buying one to collect i suppose but i would rather have a ZS180 if you want a car to actually use on the road daily which is what a car is for.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
6,960 Posts
There is no comparison between Evo/Scooby/Skyline and ZT260. The ZT is miles ahead in every respect.

It sounds 10x better than the three Japanese cars, looks sooo much better too, like it has not just dropped out of some F&F movie. :D All IMHO of course.

I used to like Imprezas a lot, still love the the sound from that boxer but now they are affordable to one and all and all sorts buy them.

Mitsubishi and Subaru have discontinued them in the UK now anyway.

Never personally, liked Evo's and Skylines.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
i did see some very nice examples at POL last year, saw a couple of top spec 75,s aswell with the huuuuge front grill that look like an audi now they do look nice.

Same here mate, I 'think' I chatted to Stu C and a couple other owners. ;)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you can ever find one XD

I've had my eyes out for one for a long while and would genuinely consider trading my evo for one.
One of my mates had one in Typhoon with a dreadnought supercharger that was running about 400 or so bhp - Such an amazing experience (and that was just as a passenger!!)

Paul

·
Registered
544 Posts
2002 pre production, the skyline was N plate came with lots of toys inc tv long before 2002 and would blow a 260 into the weeds lol. picked one up for less than 3 grand a few years back with les than 40000 miles and it ran sweet as a nut. lets just say i am 100% sure it would do 165mph but never on a public motorway though lol.
if you are buying a car for power and performance which these are supposed to offer i would feel short changed lol.
over priced and over weight, ok if you are buying one to collect i suppose but i would rather have a ZS180 if you want a car to actually use on the road daily which is what a car is for.
To judge a 260 by it's headline numbers is to miss the point. It is quite a bit faster in the real world than it's 0-60 (6.2s) or peak power would indicate. It has a pretty good amount of torque, pretty much on par with most engines of it's age and size. It's really quite slow off the line but once moving the big wall of torque is very impressive.

But really the best part of a 260 is how well it goes around corners, especially for such a big car. We have both a 260 and a ZS 180, and while I love the 180 and really enjoy driving it, the 260 would out perform it pretty much anywhere except at the petrol pump.

As for the jappas, I've driven WRXs and EVOs, and sure they're fast, but they're also pretty boring, particularly in contrast to a 260. They're also not direct competitors for the 260.

I am by no means a fan of V8s (in fact I think it is the most overrated engine configuration around), but we love our 260 and won't be selling it.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts