MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt_t
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have to replace clutch on my mg zt-t 1.8T. The clutch pedal is right at the top. Is it the same procedure as the diesel engine or is the k-series different? i can not afford to pay for it to be done. Can anyone advise me ??????and i am listening!

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Yes the procedure is essentially the same as for the diesel, (same gearbox type).
However unless the clutch is slipping or fluid is leaking then I'd leave it well alone.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The clutch is hydraulic so no adjustment is really possible other than making sure the pedal adjustment is correct. The usual problem is fluid leaks leading to the clutch not working or the pedal not returning from the floor! If it is working I'd leave well alone.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,893 Posts
Having just renewed the Clutch Concentric Slave Cylinder on my MG ZT-T 1.8T I can confirm that it was the most time consuming and difficult job for my amateur DIY talents on any car I've worked on since I bought my first back in 1959!

Web searches for advice by those more experienced than I with this task indicated the Sub-Frame needs to be removed. Only then can the Gearbox be separated from the engine to access that pesky CSC ( Concentic Slave Cylinder ) inside the Bell Housing.

If I ever have to do this job again, I will NOT drop the Sub-frame. I wiull remove the 1.8T engine and access the clutch components that way. Far less work.

Less work.. How do i know this? Simply because when fitting an MG6 1.8T engine to this ZT-T some years ago, whilst the engine was being swapped, I renewed several Clutch Components. So I am now in a position to compare both techniques I used and for the amateur DIYer, engine out is far less work but, still a considerable amount of work obviously.

I wrote a thread on this CSC renewal on my ZT-T over on the 75/ZT club web site. Any owner of a 75 or ZT should join that web-site club if not already a member. A wealth of good advice and how to stuff there. Here's the link to my thread :~

Sub-frame drop and 1.8T Gearbox removal.

Unfortunately, it is not a simple quick job on the 75/ZTs as it can be on other Rovers and MGs. By the way, still fresh in my mind is the same task on my Rover 620ti. I have also recently renewed the Clutch Hydraulic Slave Cylinder on my trusty Rover 620ti. A doodle compared to the same job on the XZT-T 1.8T. Here's the 620ti Slave... on the OUTSIDE of the Bell Housing!

See attached image.

Finally, I fitted a Luk CSC to the ZT-T when I swapped the engines. Previously I have held Luk components in high regard. They are usually dearer than other comparable parts. However, the new Luk CSC I fitted back then lasted less than 4,000 miles. maybe I was unlucky. I bought another Luk after advice from someone who's judgement I respect. It cost over sixty quid. That after buying what looked like an identical component at half the price. After considerable thought, I fitted the cheaper CSC and only have myself to blame if that proves a bad decision. What I can say is I now have a smooth clutch pedal and firm bite action which is the best with good feel than any other MG ZT I have owned or driven.

Time will tell ... fingers crossed, touch wood not that I'm superstitious or anyfink .. :D

Finally 2... as a previous poster advises, do NOT do anything unless it becomes an essential necessity...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts