MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mgf vvc, rover 111si
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have recently purchased a VVC MGF, 200 year. One little niggle is that the instrument panel lights just stopped working a while ago. I have checked all fuses according to the manual and they are all fine. From what i can feel the connection to the dimmer switch is ok. So I am assuming i need to change the bulb behind the instrument cluster. I would be grateful for any ideas/suggestions about how easy this is - or could there be something else going wrong?
thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If all the bulbs have gone out, it could be that the connector has worked loose behind the instrument panel. Not difficult do but you need small hands to get behind the instrument panel to check the connector powering the panel lights is fully engaged.

·
Registered
mgf
62 Posts
are the backlights on the oil gauge and clock working? if they are then check as julian above suggests, if i remember rightly there is one small strip of 2 or 3 bulbs above the gauges in a moulded plastic rectangle the main speedo/rev counter cluster, this is powered by one lead that connects to the back of the circuit board on the back of the speedo/rev counter.

·
Registered
mgf
826 Posts
I have a 2000 MGF same thing happened opened up the binacle and replaced the bulbs. All ok now. Trying to get the screw holes lined up is tricky and takes time be patient.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,998 Posts
If all of the instrumentation elimination has stopped including the clock and oil temperature as they are eliminated by LED I would start with the rheostat (dimmer switch), with a multimeter check that there is voltage going in and voltage going out of it. The rheostat it self may have failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts