MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Looking for a little help in diagnosing my 1997 MGF 1.8mpi Non-VVC not starting.

The other week I was driving when suddenly the engine died so I pulled to the side of the road and it wouldn't restart, so far I've narrowed it down to not getting fuel.

So some key points:
  • Turns over but doesn't start
  • I have spark, but I have changed the HT leads, distributor cap & rotor anyways as these were looking a little old, the spark plugs are also less than 1000kms old.
  • Tried pushing in the inertia switch, also bypassing made no change.
  • Would fire with a spray of easy start but immediately die again.
  • Changed the crank sensor, no change.
  • Fuel pump seems to be working, I can hear it going when ign is on.
  • Fuel filter is nearly new, and isn't blocked, I pulled the outlet line and fuel comes out when ign on.
My next step is to purchase a set of noid lights to check if the injectors are getting a pulse signal.
I'd assume they're not getting a signal as if they were, surely the car would start? And if they're not, what would the next step be?

Couple of things I'm thinking it could be:
  • Fuel pressure low (any easy way to test this?)
  • ECU/Immobiliser
  • Injectors stuffed (if one was stuffed, would that affect them all?)
I do have a T300 programmer tool but for whatever reason I can't get it to connect, I've only used it to program key fobs in the past.

This is pretty new to me and I'm learning as I go so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,544 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? In the engine compartment and under steering wheel? Thinking that you have burnt fuse for some other reason, but affects engine ECU or starting...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked the fuses? In the engine compartment and under steering wheel? Thinking that you have burnt fuse for some other reason, but affects engine ECU or starting...
By engine compartment, do you mean the ones under the front bonnet? (next to the spare wheel). Those ones looked fine, I also checked a couple that seemed relevant under the steering wheel, but I'll just go through and check them all when I get a chance.

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
Since you say you are not getting fuel, despite the fuse being OK, it would be worth making sure the fuel pump relay is serviceable.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Take off air intake to air filter pipe, get someone to spray easy start into the throttle body whilst you turn the engine over. If it starts/fires you will know injectors are ok and you've then limited your diagnostics to fuel pump, fuel filter or power...Ignore everything, just noticed you mentioned easy start. 1997 F I would check the dizzy cap and rotor arm, both prone to failure!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just changed the distributor cap & rotor, it was pretty worn but the new one made no difference.
I'll pull out the fuel pump relay and have a look, assuming that's the black unit behind the engine ECU?
Might try finding a second hand unit for a reasonable price, being in New Zealand parts are harder to come by and it seems wreckers want the same kinda money and buying new parts from the UK!

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
‘Might try finding a secondhand unit..’ Are you referring to the fuel pump relay here?
If so, you should find the same type of relay on the car performing a different function. If you are sure it’s the same, and that circuit is operating properly, you can simply swop them and see what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
‘Might try finding a secondhand unit..’ Are you referring to the fuel pump relay here?
If so, you should find the same type of relay on the car performing a different function. If you are sure it’s the same, and that circuit is operating properly, you can simply swop them and see what happens.
I thought on a mk1 MGF the fuel relay is a unique unit sitting behind the ECU (I haven't tried removing it yet, weekend job).
Looking like this? Relay - YWB100970 - Genuine MG Rover | Rimmer Bros

If there's another unit elsewhere on the car I can exchange it with I'm all ears?

Thanks.

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
Know it lives in the boot on the TF, and some others in the same group are interchangeable. F ?
Have you checked for 12v at the fuel pump?

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
743 Posts
On a Mk1 MGF, yes the fuel pump relay is inside the unit mentioned above, YWB100970. I know of two people that have experienced the fuel pump relay failure and just wired in a new relay into that unit, rather than replacing the entire unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: rechecked all the fuses, all good.
I attached a noid light to the injector plug and each injector is getting a pulse.

Looks like my injectors are gummed up? Or could it still be the fuel pump or relay? The pump primes and I'm getting fuel to the rail as when I removed the injectors fuel was spilling out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: problem solved!

Removed the fuel pump with the intention to replace it, turns out at some point someone has replaced the pump with an aftermarket unit and the outlet hose from the pump hose was not clamped on properly. Reattached the hose and secured the hose clamps, put it back together and bam! Starts first pop.

I guess as the pump was fully functional it could still push through a little fuel which made me think it was fine but was no where near enough to run the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts