MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I've got all the pics + understand how it fits...but has anyone successfully removed a 'Chinese' gearknob?

There must be a technique I'm missing - or is it a hacksaw + counselling job? :) Anyone done it that can pass on the dark secrets?

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
You just pull it. Very very hard. Like, VERY hard. Drop the roof, stand in the cockpit straddling the gear knob. Pull with all your might.

That's it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that worked! :)

I've been trying for ages respectfully twisting and pulling with gentle force not knowing how it's done....

Shows the power of the forum tho'; I got the same advice from the other one and, empowered with mew confidence, 'gave it the beans' in an upwards direction.

The only downside was that I felt something go downwards as I rose rapidly upwards when it finally let go, heard it drop, spent ages looking for something on the floor, under the carpets/ seats etc then found that tiny clip balanced out of the way vertically on the ledge by the radio :) Now to bend it back into shape and look for a replacement g/knob that doesn't look so 'in ya face', out of place and isn't a rusty brown colour...(oh, why did they do this?)

Thanks again folks! :) :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...I've discovered you have to pull MGMotors/chinese TF gearknobs upwards (only) if you want to remove them - 'cos the round gearstick has a 'flat' on the driver's side which matches a 'flat' up inside the gearknob to give it the right position for the H gate info.

If you try to twist before removal you might deform the 'flat' in the gearknob and have to suffer an annoying twisting play when you change gear, which I 'solved' (fingers crossed it lasts :)) using a small smear of hot melt glue on the gearknob 'flat' - just before pushing it back on - to take up the slack. Silicone might work, hot melt cures quicker, but the glue ought. to be soft enough for future upwards removal.

And for Chris T a slightly stuck gearknob isn't that bad but it could come off in your hand :cool: if you pull it too often :)

Hope this helps; my previous silver F gearknob merely unscrewed and it's easy to assume they all do...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts