MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this is a follow-on from this thread:

Removed airbag cover and insulation. There is a teel box where the are bag should be fitted disconneted and removed (no ill effects with the SRS system). This nescesiteded removing the glove box. All that remains is to try to remove the steel steering brackets. Then I cam see about fitting the actual cubby.

For those that are interested I have a MGZR cubby.

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to indicate that the steel box is infact the EPAS ECU, not airbag box, and therfore I need to re-locate it, or modify its mounting bracket.
Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order to gain additional depth the EPASS ECU needs to be moved but is difficult to relocate, but it may be able to move it further into the dash. Will try and report back if this gives more space for the cubby.

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all this is a follow-on from this thread:

Removed airbag cover and insulation. There is a teel box where the are bag should be fitted disconneted and removed (no ill effects with the SRS system). This nescesiteded removing the glove box. All that remains is to try to remove the steel steering brackets. Then I cam see about fitting the actual cubby.

For those that are interested I have a MGZR cubby.

Robert
Hi Robert, how much to buy the cubby please, I was considering fitting one on my mgf.
Many thanks
Alan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alan Not too sure as I got mine from a friend who was breaking an MGZT. I would however expect to pay in the region of about £25 on the internet. Possibly less from a scrap yard.

I will finish mine today so will give you an update on what I found which may encourage or discourage you from doing it

Robert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Alan Not too sure as I got mine from a friend who was breaking an MGZT. I would however expect to pay in the region of about £25 on the internet. Possibly less from a scrap yard.

I will finish mine today so will give you an update on what I found which may encourage or discourage you from doing it

Robert
No problem Robert,good luck in doing it and if you let me have your best price I can have a look.
many thanks
Alan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alan

Finished cubby! First you need to remove the airbag blank cover. Then the inner steel frame. No problem here.

As I said mine has the powersteering ECU so could not cut off steering brackets, which meant I had to shorten the cubby (I still think it would be a little tight)

Removed approx 30mmm from the back of the cubby. The cubby now fits flush with the top of the dash but then widens to the bottom by about 10mm.

I suspect I would have to cut into the existing dash to be able to seat the bottom lower opening of the cubby to fit flush with the existing dash.

At this stage I am not willing to do that so short-term, and will live with it.

To finish off, I glued some carpet (has some from old liner when I bought a new boot liner) over the open cubby inner section.

Finally, temporarily fixed with lage blobs of silicon to the steeing brackets.

Fitted rubber mat. (which cover the carpet insert) Looks good.

Will consider triming dash for a better fit once I have got used to the new cubby.

Hope this helps.

Robert

PS: Had a look on eBay for a Rover 25 / MGZR cubby but not luck. Plenty of cubby rubber mats but no cubby's suggest a breakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts