MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 MGtF has failed its MOT solely on the 'Lambda emission test'. it has never failed before. Are there any suggestions on what has gone wrong?
The car has been under wraps during the winter and of course during the lock down period having done only 1500 miles since the last test, and has now merely been driven half a mile to the MoT centre. Would a good fast drive on the motorway possibly have cleared this problem?

many thanks for any advice
David Elliott

·
Registered
rover_75
277 Posts
my 2003 MGtF has failed its MOT solely on the 'Lambda emission test'. it has never failed before. Are there any suggestions on what has gone wrong?
The car has been under wraps during the winter and of course during the lock down period having done only 1500 miles since the last test, and has now merely been driven half a mile to the MoT centre. Would a good fast drive on the motorway possibly have cleared this problem?

many thanks for any advice
David Elliott
Try a good ‘ Italian tune up’ to get rid of all the muck. Also make sure the oil is also up to temp. Bout 120c on the gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
From my experience of running a low mileage MGF, laying up does the car no good at all. Sensors play up (ie idling etc) but generally after a long run it settles down....

·
Registered
mg_tf
313 Posts
Hello David,
Of course, it’s easy in hindsight, but it’s unwise to take a vehicle for an MOT without giving it a brisk - at least 10 mile - run to ensure it’s fully up to operating conditions, particularly if its been standing for some time. In that case, it might help to complete a similar run the day before the MOT.
Having said that if the actual Lambda value is outside the specified range, then this could well point to a faulty Lambda sensor, and this reading might not change even after taking it for a good run, but certainly worth a try.
If this were mine, I would be adding a couple of gallons of fresh fuel, taking it for a couple of enthusiastic runs, and seeing what difference that makes to the actual Lambda reading.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
mg_tf
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many thanks to all - looks like I'm off for a good fast run on the motorway for my Italian tune up and some fresh petrol. problem is now its failed I can't renew my road tax so I'll be totally illegal!!

·
Registered
rover_75
277 Posts
many thanks to all - looks like I'm off for a good fast run on the motorway for my Italian tune up and some fresh petrol. problem is now its failed I can't renew my road tax so I'll be totally illegal!!
Book it in first, it will cover you then take it for run on the way as long as it’s on route. If possible don’t turn it off to it up to temp ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I do a quarterly 300 mile round trip on motorways which seems to keep mine running fine.

The Llamda that tends to play up is the one after the exhaust manifold , before the flexi pipe- I call it pre-cat, others call it downstream of whatever- Its a special spanner job to remove it and here's a tip- if you replace it- drop a piece of string down with a weight on it so as you can hoist the new wiring and plug up- otherwise its a messy fishing-job.

·
Registered
mg_tf
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to everybody who has responded to my query - I have taken your advice and my MGtF has now passed its MoT with flying colours so I'm back on the road.
thanks again
untuil next time
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts