MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
after reconnecting the battery, when I try and start the car the alarm goes off? I tried a new battery in the remote but still the same, is there a procedure I must follow?

Many Thanks in advance
Clive

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a 'dust-up' with my alarm recently on a '10/Chinese/MGMotors' 135TF after trying to use the keylock, which turned out to be seized due to lack of use.

I seem to remember that I needed to push the 'unlock' button on the remote to switch the alarm off - presumably in key position 1 - then start the car asap before the alarm system 'normalised'. Again a bit vague but I think if you don't do an engine start within a fixed time period the alarm will keep needing to be switched off until you start it within that period.

(Bear with me, you know how frantic it gets when all of a sudden the alarm starts to beep insistently and the lights flash angrily and you push any button feverishly - only to be intensified when you smugly undo the battery isolator (fitted for just such a purpose...) and realise that on this model the alarm is totally independent of the battery...That's when you feverishly pray for a hole to swallow you up 'cos it's 08:10 on a Sun morning...memories fade to protect us, I suppose...)

Oh, and make sure you lift both door panel locks before you do it; for some reason my passenger lock stayed locked down and had to be lifted separately. Another couple of things that seem to relate to this model; lubricate the driver's lock barrel (and use it occasionally from time to time) to save it from seizing up tension the battery cradle in the fob to keep the remote working efficiently, and make sure you know your EKA code/process.

Pektron TFs are renowned to have flimsy relays in the security control unit behind the heater controls that the c/locking process uses. Having been locked out of a previous TF I'd recommend any TF owner to have them uprated if only for peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts