MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I've just acquired a beautiful MGTF in Trophy Blue with a black roof which is in reasonably good condition. However, I would like to restore its colour and give it extra waterproof protection for the coming winter.
Has anybody had experience of the Renovo products and any useful tips would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Mick

·
Registered
mg_tf
380 Posts
Hello Mick,
Renovo has been about for years, so no doubt someone will have had experience of it.
Tips - don’t start in the middle.
Start at one side and work to the middle, then continue from the middle to the other side.
Starting in the middle and working to one side, then returning to the middle and working out to the other side, increases the risk of a tide mark in the middle.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Mick,
Renovo has been about for years, so no doubt someone will have had experience of it.
Tips - don’t start in the middle.
Start at one side and work to the middle, then continue from the middle to the other side.
Starting in the middle and working to one side, then returning to the middle and working out to the other side, increases the risk of a tide mark in the middle.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Thanks Austin, thats extremely helpful and the sort of tip that is invaluable, as you wouldn't find that written down anywhere. There are 3 bottles of Renovo available, one for general cleaning, one for colouring and one for weather proofing, so any owner who has experience of using these products would be very helpful.
Thanks again Austin,
Mick

·
Registered
mg_tf
55 Posts
Thanks Austin, thats extremely helpful and the sort of tip that is invaluable, as you wouldn't find that written down anywhere. There are 3 bottles of Renovo available, one for general cleaning, one for colouring and one for weather proofing, so any owner who has experience of using these products would be very helpful.
Thanks again Austin,
Mick
I found this a good video using the product.I would say when painting on the colour besure to have a bucket of water and a cloth to remove the splatter that seems to happen however careful you are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this a good video using the product.I would say when painting on the colour besure to have a bucket of water and a cloth to remove the splatter that seems to happen however careful you are.
Hi Trevor, thank you so much for sending me this video which covers everything I needed to know about the product.
Being new to this forum, I am overwhelmed at the fantastic response of its members and look forward to many more points of discussion.
Best wishes, Mick

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Used Renovo on the roof of my MGF for 23 years. The roof looks like new. Plus, after using the cleaner it has a very nice smell :) . One hint - on the waterproofing product, try and avoid getting any on the bodywork and glass surfaces.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used Renovo on the roof of my MGF for 23 years. The roof looks like new. Plus, after using the cleaner it has a very nice smell :) . One hint - on the waterproofing product, try and avoid getting any on the bodywork and glass surfaces.
Thanks Julian, you're a star! It's hints like that, that make all the difference to making light work of what you're trying to achieve. I've ordered 3 bottles of the stuff today and the small bottle of window cleaner for the plastic rear window, so can't wait to get cracking. I also managed to secure the engine cover and filler flaps you put me onto, so thanks again for that!
Best wishes, Mick

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
The Renovo Colour Restorer seems to work well on black rooves. (The blue version does darken the blue roof colour some and the burgundy version seems to turn red rooves brown, based on the couple of us here who used it :( )

Since buying a new, non brown, burgundy roof, I've stuck with the Autogylm reviver and proofer kit but that is only a cleaner and proofer and doesn't change the colour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Renovo Colour Restorer seems to work well on black rooves. (The blue version does darken the blue roof colour some and the burgundy version seems to turn red rooves brown, based on the couple of us here who used it :( )

Since buying a new, non brown, burgundy roof, I've stuck with the Autogylm reviver and proofer kit but that is only a cleaner and proofer and doesn't change the colour.

Thanks for your response Bromsgrove and you've confirmed what I thought in as much as Autogylm doesn't include a coloured dye. I've now got myself a full set of Renovo products and just waiting for a spell of sunshine in Scotland (might be waiting a while) in order to give it a go! I'll take pics before and after and post them on here, to share with fellow enthusiasts and looking forward to some worthwhile results!
Cheers, Mick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts