MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to forum, I have searched threads to try and see if this is common. I have not found an exact match so can I ask you experts.
Car is MGZR 160 - 80,000 miles 02plate.
Car starts fine, after setting off all is ok until gremlins start. the tachometer intermittently starts dropping to zero, spark lost, then will come back as car rolls on. this happens several times until I get to about 5 miles from home. Then when the tacho drops to zero it is terminal, no ignition, car stranded on side of road. car refuses to start....will turn over but no spark.
I turn key off, I put hazard lights on, lift bonnet, Make out I know what I am doing, fiddle with all sensor wires around the top of air fuel intake manifold.
Get back into car . car starts first time and will run like a dream for rest of journey- long or short distance.
This has been happening for about 8 months ( although I only use car about once a fortnight) . Orange engine warning light has been on for 8 months until the last time I fiddled with sensor wires and orange engine light has mysteriously gone off.
My gut feeling that I have a wire to a sensor breaking down which is only critical when engine is warming and not needed when engine gets to temp. But I don't know which sensor to try and replace... any help please...
thanks
Jim

·
Registered
mg_zr
1 Posts
Did you resolve your problem?

I have a similar issue, not resolved but my experience so far may be somewhat useful.

Changing the crankshaft position sensor has now extended the distance I can drive before the car cuts out. Also had to change intake manifold gasket which did improve idling.

Once the car cuts out now though I can start the car immediately it comes to a halt instead of having to wait 10-15 minutes although the engine cranks over for at least 5-10 seconds longer than normal before firing up. However unlike your experience, the car might cut out again, or not.

So now I'm beginning to suspect the fuel pump.

The car won't idle properly with the camshaft sensor connected either so will be changing that as soon as mine arrives from EBay.

Does your VVC seem to be extremely noisy at idle - mine is and idling is very erratic unless I disconnect the camshaft position sensor and restart the car whereupon idling is smooth and the VVC noise disappears.

If you make progress please update your post - it might help with my. All the best with yours

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ian,
For the moment the problem seams to have gone away.
I let the car idle for a long time to warm up before setting off last time I used it, and the cut out fault did not occur.

Not really confident that it has sorted itself, but decided not to tamper with it until problem returns.

My gut feeling is that there may be a sensor wire that is breaking down and causing the ECU to cut all electrics.
I guess by switching off waiting and switching back on, it is somehow re-setting the ECU and allowing journey to be continued.

I did get a diagnostic check done when the issue first occurred and the
Code was advised as crankshaft and camshaft misalignment causing shut down.

But the engine is running really well between cut outs so I cant see that there is a misalignment and it is just a sensor thing. -- Not sure what is best to change though.

Good luck with your quest, keep me posted if you sole the issue...…...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ian,
For the moment the problem seams to have gone away.
I let the car idle for a long time to warm up before setting off last time I used it, and the cut out fault did not occur.

Not really confident that it has sorted itself, but decided not to tamper with it until problem returns.

My gut feeling is that there may be a sensor wire that is breaking down and causing the ECU to cut all electrics.
I guess by switching off waiting and switching back on, it is somehow re-setting the ECU and allowing journey to be continued.

I did get a diagnostic check done when the issue first occurred and the
Code was advised as crankshaft and camshaft misalignment causing shut down.

But the engine is running really well between cut outs so I cant see that there is a misalignment and it is just a sensor thing. -- Not sure what is best to change though.

Good luck with your quest, keep me posted if you sole the issue...…...

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Have you checked the earth cable, battery negative to slam panel? Could be an intermittent bad connection here. Worth checking, cleaning up and remaking...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts