MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys n' gals... it's been a little while :)

I am in the process of giving my beloved MGZR a good service.. Can I ask what the capacity of the Gearbox oil is? I understand from research
I require a 'MTF94' oil?.. It has done 80k now so figured it can't harm to change it now??..

Many thanks as always

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,143 Posts
RAVE gives the capacity of the PG1 as 2.2 litres from dry, or 2.0 litres for refill (when I changed mine, a 2 litre bottle was spot-on :)).

Itcertainly won't do any harm to change early (recommended change point is just over 100000 miles depending on the model of car the PG1 is fitted to), but the main benefit of using MTF94 is its longevity - if changing fairly frequently, any high quality 75W80 gear oil will be suitable.

·
Registered
mg_zr
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
RAVE gives the capacity of the PG1 as 2.2 litres from dry, or 2.0 litres for refill (when I changed mine, a 2 litre bottle was spot-on :)).

Itcertainly won't do any harm to change early (recommended change point is just over 100000 miles depending on the model of car the PG1 is fitted to), but the main benefit of using MTF94 is its longevity - if changing fairly frequently, any high quality 75W80 gear oil will be suitable.
OK thank you... may I ask, what is 'PG1' - am I being rather stupid here lol..(right - just looked this up and edited..it's the gearbox type on the car lol DOH!)

Also I have read the gearbox oil should be changed every 7 years? Is this inaccurate?

On your recommendation, I will but 2 litres then :) My question to you is - what would be your personal recommendation?.. MTF94 or 75W80? I presume the latter needs to be changed more frequently, and if so - how much so?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
289 Posts
From what I was told it's every 100k, my van has just ticked over to 152k and it is a 160 with the same pg1. I changed my gearbox oil last year at 130k and it was in good condition. To be honest the pg1 gearbox is very strong and it's very unusual for one to fail. I would just use standard oil and follow the 100k or 7 years rule. As long as your gearbox doesn't develop a leak there should be no reason for it to fail.

·
Registered
mg_zr
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I was told it's every 100k, my van has just ticked over to 152k and it is a 160 with the same pg1. I changed my gearbox oil last year at 130k and it was in good condition. To be honest the pg1 gearbox is very strong and it's very unusual for one to fail. I would just use standard oil and follow the 100k or 7 years rule. As long as your gearbox doesn't develop a leak there should be no reason for it to fail.
Thanks mate - just wondered on if it helps with the overall running of the car etc...

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I normally get between 1.9 and 2 litres out and 2.2 litres in by lowering the gearbox side of the car to drain and then raising it to level when refilling.

Halfords do a MTF94 equivalent for £10 a litre if it is easier to get to them than a proper motor factors.

·
Registered
mg_zr
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I normally get between 1.9 and 2 litres out and 2.2 litres in by lowering the gearbox side of the car to drain and then raising it to level when refilling.

Halfords do a MTF94 equivalent for £10 a litre if it is easier to get to them than a proper motor factors.
I have been reading that different oils offer different fuel consumption too? (A1 for example is about fuel economy..A3 is about performance) so if one goes for an 'A5' it offers both?! Has anyone heard of this before??..

·
Registered
mg_zr
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The question still remain though - as despite reading up SO MUCH on this over the past 4 days.. I still cannot work out the bets option between:

What the manual says one should use (in this case Texaco MTF94)....

Any brand at all providing its 'MTF94' which is basically 75w/80 so makes zero difference....

My 10/40 engine oil just changing every or every other oil change, so if essence, every say 2 years or so...

Can you all give your honest opinions here as it's doing my head in now lol :)

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The best option is MTF94. But so long as there is oil in there and it is changed at appropriate intervals there won't be any issues. The only exception is the torsen (LSD) equipped gearboxes which need the MTF94 to work correctly.

The question still remain though - as despite reading up SO MUCH on this over the past 4 days.. I still cannot work out the bets option between:

What the manual says one should use (in this case Texaco MTF94)....

Any brand at all providing its 'MTF94' which is basically 75w/80 so makes zero difference....

My 10/40 engine oil just changing every or every other oil change, so if essence, every say 2 years or so...

Can you all give your honest opinions here as it's doing my head in now lol :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts