MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting unused for a couple of years, when I came to get my ZT 1.8t back on the road, the clutch friction plate had stuck to the flywheel. Being old school, I got the car running on the starter motor with the car in gear and managed to free the clutch but in so doing I suspect I popped the release bearing. I managed to hobble on with regular clutch bleeds (absolute PITA) for about 5k miles, but eventually bit the bullet and decided to replace the item. I decided to go down the engine/box out route and took the opportunity to remove and restore the subframe - which was in excellent shape for an 18 yr old car - and now derusted and coated with Rustoleum 2 pack epoxy. I've also replaced the cambelt, tensioner and water pump

Having fitted the new release bearing I have reassembled and refitted everything and then the magic moment - connecting the slave cylinder to the master.

Disaster - the quick fit locking device appears to be jammed on the new slave cylinder - I just cannot get the two items to lock together.

Anyone else ever encountered this. If I cant sort this out I face the prospect of doing the job again which I really don't want to contemplate right now.

Any advice welcome

Simon

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
Hello Simon.
Am I right in thinking there are two different connector tubes/ release bearing assemblies?
Kind regards,
Austin

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Austin.

The MGZTs/R75s all used the same system as far as I know. The slave cylinder is part of the release bearing and the hydraulic line connects to the master using a quick connector that is located on top of the bell housing.

The old one came off easily, and I stupidly didn't think to check the new one because I bought the LUK part. I really don't want to remove engine/box again, so worst case scenario will be to hack out the connector and reconnect using jubilee clips, but I'd rather not do that and prefer it if I can figure out how to use the existing system

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding Austin.

The MGZTs/R75s all used the same system as far as I know. The slave cylinder is part of the release bearing and the hydraulic line connects to the master using a quick connector that is located on top of the bell housing.

The old one came off easily, and I stupidly didn't think to check the new one because I bought the LUK part. I really don't want to remove engine/box again, so worst case scenario will be to hack out the connector and reconnect using jubilee clips, but I'd rather not do that and prefer it if I can figure out how to use the existing system

Any ideas welcomed

Thanks

Simon

Panic now over. The unit was pressurized on delivery so I had to crack open the bleed nipple in order to make the connection. Job done!:)

·
Registered
mg_tf
320 Posts
Hello Simon,
Yes, I know about the release bearing ‘assembly, and I wasn’t referring to the ZT/ Rover 75 comparison, but to a point in time where the 75 ( and I guess the ZT) connector arrangement was modified.
Sure a pal of mine got caught out in the same way with his 2003 75 Tourer with a kit he bought from Rimmers. The box had to come out again and of course Rimmers (understandably) were not prepared to accept the release bearing assembly back for credit from a 3 Part clutch. He had to buy the alternative connector set up release bearing .
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
mg_zt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I had updated this post, but apparently not. The solution was simple - I had to crack open the bleed valve on top of the bellhousing to allow the pressure to release enough to allow the quick release connector to work. Job done successfully. Thanks to all those who responded to this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts