MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Omg guys I am so relieved to find this forum!! I had my MG ZS 1L automatic in June 19 and exactly the same as you guys I'm experiencing lumpy juddering driving now on a daily basis ! Ive been told it's cause I'm new to automatics then it was cause of the GPF and told to basically go away as it's a characteristic and unless a light comes on the dash then there's nothing they can do 馃槧 I hate my car the stress it causes !.
I have taken to my garage so many times and even replicated the fault with them in the car but then when they have it they come back and say it's run perfectly and there's no fault with it !!! What the hell do we do !?? I've now put a letter to regret the car as I am within my first 6 months
I was given a demo car Saturday for a week with 80 delivery miles on the clock and guess what .... As soon as I started driving it it juttered 馃槧 please all fight this we need answers

Registered
I am classic MG fan of 35 years standing. I decided to add to the 'fleet' ('B' & 'TF') with a brand new ZS. Soon after taking delivery it was apparent that the car had an intermittent running fault which I described as being like a 'misfire'/timing problem. I returned the car to the dealer to rectify but was told that they didn't need to drive, or even look at the car, because they knew about the fault on that particular model. I wrote down the key parts of the conversation:
The automatic version of the MGZS is fitted with a particulate filter to the catalytic converter which burns off deposits when the car reaches a certain temperature ('Regeneration'). The service chap said that when he first experienced the fault himself on a pre-inspection delivery assessment, he thought 'this isn't going too well'. He said that the fault couldn't be fixed, nor could he offer advice as to when it would happen nor for how long. I asked him to check and he came back and confirmed that the manual version did not have the filter. I was subsequently told that the regeneration process takes power from the electrics - which would fit with the symptoms.

I don't expect a 拢17k car to drive like a BMW or even VW and am happy to put up with other issues but this fault can go on for 25+ miles and over the weeks has become wearing.

I would be keen to hear from other ZS Auto owners (cars built from 2018).

Thank you for reading, JB
Omg guys I am so relieved to find this forum!! I had my MG ZS 1L automatic in June 19 and exactly the same as you guys I'm experiencing lumpy juddering driving now on a daily basis ! Ive been told it's cause I'm new to automatics then it was cause of the GPF and told to basically go away as it's a characteristic and unless a light comes on the dash then there's nothing they can do 馃槧 I hate my car the stress it causes !.
I have taken to my garage so many times and even replicated the fault with them in the car but then when they have it they come back and say it's run perfectly and there's no fault with it !!! What the hell do we do !?? I've now put a letter to regret the car as I am within my first 6 months
I was given a demo car Saturday for a week with 80 delivery miles on the clock and guess what .... As soon as I started driving it it juttered 馃槧 please all fight this we need answers
hi did you see m
I am classic MG fan of 35 years standing. I decided to add to the 'fleet' ('B' & 'TF') with a brand new ZS. Soon after taking delivery it was apparent that the car had an intermittent running fault which I described as being like a 'misfire'/timing problem. I returned the car to the dealer to rectify but was told that they didn't need to drive, or even look at the car, because they knew about the fault on that particular model. I wrote down the key parts of the conversation:
The automatic version of the MGZS is fitted with a particulate filter to the catalytic converter which burns off deposits when the car reaches a certain temperature ('Regeneration'). The service chap said that when he first experienced the fault himself on a pre-inspection delivery assessment, he thought 'this isn't going too well'. He said that the fault couldn't be fixed, nor could he offer advice as to when it would happen nor for how long. I asked him to check and he came back and confirmed that the manual version did not have the filter. I was subsequently told that the regeneration process takes power from the electrics - which would fit with the symptoms.

I don't expect a 拢17k car to drive like a BMW or even VW and am happy to put up with other issues but this fault can go on for 25+ miles and over the weeks has become wearing.

I would be keen to hear from other ZS Auto owners (cars built from 2018).

Thank you for reading, JB
[/QUOTE
Hi did you see my post below I'm having exactly the same issues

Registered
other_mg
I would have liked an auto, but certainly not going to be one of these, have been fed up enough with the irritating problems with my 1.5 manual excite as it is. Looks like my next car, (in the next 6 months) won't be an MG (chinese) will avoid the Ssangyong which uses a derivative of the 1.5 T engine.

Registered
I'm very pleased to find and print off this forum to take to my Local MG dealer tonight when I go to collect by 1L ZS for the second time. After 2 visits now and over 7 days in the garage they have failed to find any issues with my car yet it is suffering from all the drive issues in this forum. To me rather than a misfire it feels more like a gearbox issue as if a clutch slip within the gearbox. When its playing up I get very jerky acceleration, failure to down shift gears when needed & when running at constant speeds I get a kangarooing effect even using the cruise control. This continues for the full journey and does not rectify itself until the car has rested up for a while. I keep getting told its probably the particle filter regenerating but I do not believe this as it happens far to often and goes on far too long. last week it misbehaved for an entire drive from Windsor to Reading on local roads and at constant speed on the M4 and when I reached my destination there was a horrible burning/friction smell. Its so frustrating that when the dealer have it its usually behaving and they have not re reacted it yet. I wish MG would agree the car is unfit for purpose as mine is not evn 6 months old and only done 1600 miles !

Registered
I'm very pleased to find and print off this forum to take to my Local MG dealer tonight when I go to collect by 1L ZS for the second time. After 2 visits now and over 7 days in the garage they have failed to find any issues with my car yet it is suffering from all the drive issues in this forum. To me rather than a misfire it feels more like a gearbox issue as if a clutch slip within the gearbox. When its playing up I get very jerky acceleration, failure to down shift gears when needed & when running at constant speeds I get a kangarooing effect even using the cruise control. This continues for the full journey and does not rectify itself until the car has rested up for a while. I keep getting told its probably the particle filter regenerating but I do not believe this as it happens far to often and goes on far too long. last week it misbehaved for an entire drive from Windsor to Reading on local roads and at constant speed on the M4 and when I reached my destination there was a horrible burning/friction smell. Its so frustrating that when the dealer have it its usually behaving and they have not re reacted it yet. I wish MG would agree the car is unfit for purpose as mine is not evn 6 months old and only done 1600 miles !
Omg I have exactly the same issues I have now instructed a solicitor as I also feel the car is not fit for purpose and I have put a letter of rejection in. Keep in touch I feel your pain !

Registered
Omg I have exactly the same issues I have now instructed a solicitor as I also feel the car is not fit for purpose and I have put a letter of rejection in. Keep in touch I feel your pain !
Well my local garage have taken this forum away to read up as MG refuse to agree this engine / gearbox has any known issues ! I鈥檝e collected my car on the basis I鈥檓 taking it straight back the minute it happens as they cannot re create it - I鈥檓 fuming that MG can say this is normal. It鈥檚 pathetic !!

Registered
Hi Michelle

I bought a MG ZS 1.0 AUTO and have the same issues. Mine was bought in late dec 2019 so its about 7-8 weeks old now (700 miles on the clock).

Mine first went back into the MG dealers after about 2 weeks. At that time I made sure that it went with the car whilst its in the 'kangaroo' mode. Their engineers went on test drive with us and witnessed the problem first hand and said it was to do with stop start system initially and it needed an electronic reset. So they reset that and then I learned that they put on the worksheet for the service repair that there was no fault seen on the customer test drive! They were trying to falsify records!!! Luckily, my partner nipped this in the bud by demanding to see the engineer who tagged along on the test drive.....and he was not available ... but then the head engineer came out and asked if they could have the car for at least 4 or 5 days as their is a known issue with resetting the GPF that causes these problems. He also said that dealership has a number of other 1.0 auto ZS customers with the same issue so it would help a lot of people out. They agreed to give us a courtesy car if we let them have to for an number of days so I thought - why not. If it gets fixed and it helps all the other poor owners then great.

Two weeks later and 7 days in the dealer service workshop and the GPF was still not resetting in seconds making the car drive like a dog with loss of power, hesitation, horrendous mpg constantly. I was getting 15-17mpg. Hence, I came come to the end of my patience with the car and the dealer. The whole comedy of errors from driving it off the forecourt has been stressful. A new car experience should be all about enjoying a lovely drive in reliable car that you are proud of. My car is none of those things and is dangerous. I have nearly had an accident pulling out of junction with and the power loss occurs.

So...My car has been in the garage for 7 days out of 7 weeks. The problem arises intermittently at first and then becomes permanent so the car is a dog to drive the full length of any journey. The MG dealer even told me that if I don't take it on a long run down the motorway at 60-70 mph regularly I cannot expect the car to run properly.....wtf????? The even said the GPF and stop start on all modern cars causes these running issues - well that is pure BS. I had a Mercedes with stop start and never had it run like a dog for even one second!!!

Now I have written to the dealer and finance company asking for a full refund. The dealer who has treated me and my partner like a pair of idiots by telling us if you don't run the car at motorway speeds every few days you cannot expect the car to run properly has now offered to take the car in for another week to try and fix it again. Really!!! I don't think they can be trusted to either fix it and might even to try and make out there is no issue as they have doctored the service record paperwork before. On the side....A friend of mine who used to work at a errr...unscrupulous car dealers (not MG btw) suggested they might doctor the paperwork so that in the event of refund claims down the line they can say there was no fault according to their records. She also said that you should become their biggest pain the backside to get things done as repairs carried out can be disputed after the fact by manufacturers who may well be footing the bill. So they could be reluctant to do too much work in case they do not get compensated after the fact. Anyway.....

I have now said I want to wait and see what the finance company say as I want to reject the car which is my right under consumer law given the problems I have had in the first 6-8 weeks. I have lost faith in the car totally. Hate to drive it - just in case it chug chug chugs and lets me down when I pull out into traffic.

If you had finance - you can contact them and they will try help. My finance company told me that I have a right to a car that works and if the problem is not solved to my satisfaction I can reject the car for a full refund. So I am just waiting now to see what happens when the finance company talks to the dealer. Given that this problem will not be fixed in the short term I think the car is not fit for purpose and is dangerous given the power loss when pulling out into traffic and so on.

Hopefully I will get something sorted out and end this nightmare.......

21 - 28 of 28 Posts