MG-Rover.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a further symptom of the misfiring issue, but I would be interested to hear views on this. Drove to work this morning and felt that the car was a little low powered. So, parked up - in neutral - and sat for a minute or so and the idle was a bit lumpy, but only slightly noticeable. Anyway, decided to press the accelerator to rev the engine. Even with my foot to the floor, the car refused to rev past 3,000rpm. No matter what I did, the car would not rev past 3,000rpm. Now, I did wonder if this was a way to protect the car from over-revving, but as said earlier, happy for owners to comment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Swimmy

This is a symptom of the kangaroo GPF fault. My car will not go over 3000 rpm when the fault manifests and it wont kick down even with the accelerator hard to the floor. Also, the idle in mine when in kangaroo mode is erratic. Sometimes it even bounces from 900 revs to nearly 1500-1600 like its revving itself up on its own when you have your foot on the brake. Do you get low mpg as well - I have videos showing my car doing 14.1mpg!!!!!

I am still awaiting responses from my dealer as of today.

·
Registered
mg_zs
17 Posts
Hi Swimmy

This is a symptom of the kangaroo GPF fault. My car will not go over 3000 rpm when the fault manifests and it wont kick down even with the accelerator hard to the floor. Also, the idle in mine when in kangaroo mode is erratic. Sometimes it even bounces from 900 revs to nearly 1500-1600 like its revving itself up on its own when you have your foot on the brake. Do you get low mpg as well - I have videos showing my car doing 14.1mpg!!!!!

I am still awaiting responses from my dealer as of today.
Hi I also get the occasional misfire its not heavy but is noticeable but my ZS auto will not rev above 3000 rpm but in drive the revs appear normal, mine is a October 2018 exclusive.

John M1EFP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update on my dealer and finance company......

The dealer will not accept video evidence of the faults (even though they have witnessed them with their own eyes before on a test drive). Videos of the kangaroo, 14.1mpg, doors not opening are not acceptable unless one of their engineers is present!!!!!! They are no longer willing to communicate on the matter via email unless instructed. So, I am back to an independent report. Only taken 4 weeks to go round the houses. They are playing a very good long game on this and now coronavirus has them shut down. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Update on my dealer and finance company......

The dealer will not accept video evidence of the faults (even though they have witnessed them with their own eyes before on a test drive). Videos of the kangaroo, 14.1mpg, doors not opening are not acceptable unless one of their engineers is present!!!!!! They are no longer willing to communicate on the matter via email unless instructed. So, I am back to an independent report. Only taken 4 weeks to go round the houses. They are playing a very good long game on this and now coronavirus has them shut down. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH
Maybe this is now time to email Auto Express' WatchDog team?

Let them have access to the video also.

Cheers..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I think you are right. If anyone else who has this issue and would like to join me and contact Auto Express, RipOffBritain and Watchdog etc please PM me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please have a look at this:

Good luck!

Cheers..
Thanks - I have filled in the website form and its says someone will call me. At £199 its not cheap though! I assume this cost can be claimed back from the dealer or finance company at some stage.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks - I have filled in the website form and its says someone will call me. At £199 its not cheap though! I assume this cost can be claimed back from the dealer or finance company at some stage.
Yes, as long as the report is accepted by the finance company then I can't see any reason why this cannot be reimbursed to you.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You may wish to reach out to Glennbtn about the rejection process via the Financial Ombudsman as he had his ZS successfully rejected owing to a severe rust problem:

This is his website documenting the issue that he had:

Here's the Honest John web page that he started:

He also confirmed that he got his money back for the Dekra report.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is also part of another post, but the dealer suggested that I should not solely be using Supermarket petrol when filling. I was asked where I get my fuel from and explained that since December 2019, I've mainly filled up at Tesco and Morrisons pumps. The suggestion being that I should occasionally using 'name' brands instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am classic MG fan of 35 years standing. I decided to add to the 'fleet' ('B' & 'TF') with a brand new ZS. Soon after taking delivery it was apparent that the car had an intermittent running fault which I described as being like a 'misfire'/timing problem. I returned the car to the dealer to rectify but was told that they didn't need to drive, or even look at the car, because they knew about the fault on that particular model. I wrote down the key parts of the conversation:
The automatic version of the MGZS is fitted with a particulate filter to the catalytic converter which burns off deposits when the car reaches a certain temperature ('Regeneration'). The service chap said that when he first experienced the fault himself on a pre-inspection delivery assessment, he thought 'this isn't going too well'. He said that the fault couldn't be fixed, nor could he offer advice as to when it would happen nor for how long. I asked him to check and he came back and confirmed that the manual version did not have the filter. I was subsequently told that the regeneration process takes power from the electrics - which would fit with the symptoms.

I don't expect a £17k car to drive like a BMW or even VW and am happy to put up with other issues but this fault can go on for 25+ miles and over the weeks has become wearing.

I would be keen to hear from other ZS Auto owners (cars built from 2018).

Thank you for reading, JB
My Mg zs 1.0 auto is 18mouths old..only done 10k and it’s in the Mg dealer Having a new particulate filter fitted .. like your car it had a misfire from day one and like you was told to drive through it ..it’s now in the garage waiting for the part.. so far I’ve lost the car for a week. I love the car and will be looking to upgrade to the HS. Do anybody know if the 1.5 unit has the particulate issue?

·
Registered
mg_zs
7 Posts
My Mg zs 1.0 auto is 18mouths old..only done 10k and it’s in the Mg dealer Having a new particulate filter fitted .. like your car it had a misfire from day one and like you was told to drive through it ..it’s now in the garage waiting for the part.. so far I’ve lost the car for a week. I love the car and will be looking to upgrade to the HS. Do anybody know if the 1.5 unit has the particulate issue?
I have a ZS with the 1.5 engine. I had the emissions warning light come on and the dealer reset the sensor. Two weeks later it happened again and this time they fitted a new catalytic converter. No problems since.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I haven't heard of any HS cars having this issue, though that might be because the HS isn't as a popular car as the ZS.

An owner has reviewed their own HS on the Honest John website and makes no mention of the GPF being problematic.

This might be because the engine is a 4 cylinder model therefore turning off one of the cylinders during the regeneration process does not zap the power as much as a 3 cylinder engine would.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have a ZS with the 1.5 engine. I had the emissions warning light come on and the dealer reset the sensor. Two weeks later it happened again and this time they fitted a new catalytic converter. No problems since.
The quality of the individual components made by the OEMs can make or break a car.

Sometimes even something as small as a badly made bolt can have serious issues with the reliability of a car, depending on where it has been used.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am so happy to have found this thread. We picked up a brand new MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T in June 2020. The Wife and I have taken the car back twice to the dealership because of this mis-firing/hesitation issue that everyone on this forum is talking about.
I agree with the not-revving beyond 3-4000rpm. I put my foot all the way down on the accelerator and the car just wouldn't rev past the limit as above.
Letting the car idle - it jumps at times suggesting a mis-fire.
The car feels underpowered when driving or 'holding back', suggesting a fuel/air ratio mixture is running lean.
Not changing down gears when you put your foot down
Smell of burning/friction after short drives

All of the replies I have read on this thread, i'm like, yeah, that's happened to me. I am just happy its not just me and seems to be a major issuing affecting a lot owners.

When we took it in, the first excuse the technician came up with was we may have put dodgy petrol in and that is what is causing the problem. They changed the particle sensor as a precaution and handed the car back to us. It was better at first, but now all the problems have come back again two months down the line.

I do not agree with the fact that we have to drive the car for a long run every weekend to ensure no build up of soot which requires the 'regeneration' process. I am now also worried about this stalling environment with the stop/start.

We purchased a new car to avoid all the issues that you sometimes encounter with used cars.
We also purchased the car in cash, so I am not sure what rights we have under the consumer act to either return the car or request a replacement.
I work overseas, so my wife is stuck with dealing with the problems along with school runs, etc. She needs a reliable car!
I feel slightly happier that we are not alone, but we need to figure out what our rights are.
Can we go for a recall? or can we just return the car requesting a full refund? I need to read the Consumer Act carefully.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts