MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have the case of their headlights internally misting in cold and damp weather?

I recently changed the Philips branded OEM bulbs for some Osram Nightbreaker Lasers and don't know if by doing this allowed some moist air to enter the headlamp assembly.

During the bulb change over I had noticed that MG had placed a bag of desiccant inside the assembly which I am guessing is meant to prevent this misting.

The problem doesn't cause a pool of water but more of some condensation to appear on the lower half of the headlight assembly.

If the problem happens again, I will see if I can take a picture of the problem.

Cheers..

·
Registered
rover_600
95 Posts
I have this problem only once. The event happened when in heavy snow I lost the wheel arch liner. Took me a week to get the car up on the lift, to replace and remount the liner and dry everything out.
Once done the problem never came back. I have had many different types of bulbs over the years from discharge burners, BIG Led fan cooled units to Day-lighters Philips, Osram, Bosh, Halford specials and one bought in a Garage in France. I have never found an inside misting problem regardless of bulb type.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this problem only once. The event happened when in heavy snow I lost the wheel arch liner. Took me a week to get the car up on the lift, to replace and remount the liner and dry everything out.
Once done the problem never came back. I have had many different types of bulbs over the years from discharge burners, BIG Led fan cooled units to Day-lighters Philips, Osram, Bosh, Halford specials and one bought in a Garage in France. I have never found an inside misting problem regardless of bulb type.
Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply, I am wondering that when the problem occurred, if it is related to the fact that the headlamps were previously used on the night befor.

It was relatively cold last night with some light rain, about 5 oC and this morning there was not misting so I couldn't take any pictures.

Cheers..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pictures of the misting in the headlights.

At night:

The next morning

Cheers..

·
Registered
rover_600
95 Posts
Here are the pictures of the misting in the headlights.

At night:

View attachment 134412

View attachment 134415

The next morning

View attachment 134413 View attachment 134414

Cheers..
Water has gotten into the inside of the unit where it is not meant to get to. I would suggest a hair dryer in at the back of the unit when stripped would dry them out. But until you know where the water is getting in from there is little point. My guess would be the two half’s of the unit are not properly glued together and water is getting in in the way that only water can.
Best of luck
Alan

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water has gotten into the inside of the unit where it is not meant to get to. I would suggest a hair dryer in at the back of the unit when stripped would dry them out. But until you know where the water is getting in from there is little point. My guess would be the two half’s of the unit are not properly glued together and water is getting in in the way that only water can.
Best of luck
Alan

Thanks Alan for the reply, I had previously changed the light bulbs for some Osram Nightbreaker Lasers and was wondering if I hadn't sealed the protective cap properly but I remember them being a real pain to rotate without using any tools. It was at this point that I had noticed some factory supplied silica gel packs inside though they aren't doing their job properly if the headlights are misting like this.

Cheers..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts