MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has an R reg Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol, and yesterday I went to check up on it and discovered it was completely dead. No lights, no ignition, nothing.

I checked the battery with a multimeter and it was registering 0.02 volts :|

I tried jump starting it with my car, and the best it could manage after 20 minutes was 2.3 volts.

What could cause a battery to deplete so drastically, and so quickly (24h max) Is it a dud battery, or has something killed it?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Before you replace the alternator if it isn't charging check the fuses behind the glove box its a 7amp fuse that blows iirc

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved (hopefully)

I've just replaced the battery and the car burst into life. Will be checking over the next week or so to see if it stays charged.

It's weird though. I've never seen a battery go so incredibly flat practically overnight.

·
Registered
mg_zs
597 Posts
If it's got a dead cell in it it will show no signs of fatigue and then die instantly.

example, my very own battery last week.

Symptoms include taking only 30 minutes to charge up and the alternator not showing any signs of fatigue.

You should get around 14 volts off the battery with the engine running and 12v normally but the 12v just means that one of the cells is working. If the others are dead or dying you battery is only going to be holding a few ah of charge and then dying again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And that's exactly what my symptoms were.

I've heard there was an official phrase for it - "Flat Battery Syndrome" or something like that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts