MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 MG ZS was just over the threshold for emissions on the test this year (ok last year) so I was wondering if other peoples old diesels were starting to fail MOTs? I've read a few of the old threads about this and the tips about blasting it down the motorway before the test (which I did) but I was interested if this was a more general problem with older L series or just mine. It's bog standard apart from a Reidy remap to 140 and a turbo boost to 19psi. MAF was changed for new one about three years ago and cleaned with contact cleaner before the test. I cleaned out the induction housing a while ago, what a mess that was! But I've never cleared out the EGR. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I look after my Sister's 1997 420SD (early L series mechanical pump) surprisingly has passed the emissions with the pump wound up running 18psi at first with out an intercooler and later with one, no EGR too as that was just a mess. as long as you can get the smoke down as clear as you can leading up to and at WOT you should be good. unfortunately with the EDC pumps you cant turn the fuelling down with just a turn of a screw like the old ones..

·
Registered
mg_zs
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it gives out a lot of white/grey smoke at startup so I'm wondering if it's turbo seals or the injectors need cleaning. I think I'll do the injectors first

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it at start up from cold if it clears after say a minute or two and runs fine while warming up, but if its doing it when hot then id look into it.

·
Registered
mg_zs
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes runs a dream after startup but I'm worried that my neighbours are going to start complaining that I'm filling the street with smoke every morning :D

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Try a bottle of Forte fuel additive. I always use an additive before the MOT Forte/ Cataclean etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts