MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bought some the other day as having covered 75k without (to my knowledge) ever having anything flushed through, I thought i'd treat the old girl.

So I bought some and emptied half of it into the bottom of a very empty tank.

Filled up £55 on top and off i went.

Nothing noticeable at first but a few stop starts later all i can say is WOW.

Much quieter on idle, smoother round town, more willingness to pull in 5th and absolutley no smoke out of the back visible. (only a slight haze at night time but not the fog machine I had before).

Setting 5 of the Synergy unit, and next, EGR clean and mod plus a new MAF.

Ron, get the stamps ready for my Pierburgh order! :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Well, I bought some the other day as having covered 75k without (to my knowledge) ever having anything flushed through, I thought i'd treat the old girl.

So I bought some and emptied half of it into the bottom of a very empty tank.

Filled up £55 on top and off i went.

Nothing noticeable at first but a few stop starts later all i can say is WOW.

Much quieter on idle, smoother round town, more willingness to pull in 5th and absolutley no smoke out of the back visible. (only a slight haze at night time but not the fog machine I had before).

Setting 5 of the Synergy unit, and next, EGR clean and mod plus a new MAF.

Ron, get the stamps ready for my Pierburgh order! :D
How does the Redex compare with Millers?
Is it not a lot dearer than Millers (which is £7.99 for 500ml - ie enough for 500L)?

Did an oil and filter change last week, using Millers XFE - I was surprised how much quieter the engine was. Mind you the old oil was Halfrauds own brand as no Millers stockist in Perth and I refuse to pay silly prices for the big name brands.

PB maf ready to go!

Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Redex in the old days

I used to be a mobile Redex engineer. This was a long long time ago, early sixties. We used to travel the country doing REDEX CONVERSIONS. This meant draining the oil from a petrol or diesel motor, filling the sump with neat Redex and fast tickover for half an hour. Drain and refill with Redex motor oil to suit. This was by the way in the days of straight oil no multigrades then. We would then drill and tap the inlet manifold, all normally aspirated engines of course with a carb. and screw in a nipple to take a vacuum gauge and we would adjust the timing on the distributor. Finishing off by adjusting the carb/s.
This did most engines a world of good, cleaning out all the gunge the straight oils left. BUT the excellent cleaning properties of Redex also cleaned off all the lacquering on the big end shells and we had a few failures. Motors normally driven nowadays rarely throw a big end but when it does happen it's exiting to say the least.
All this rambling of an old coot is of course totally irrelevant today, I am sure Redex in the fuel does no harm at all and possibly a lot of good. Myself I use Millers in my diesel.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ron,

£5.00 for 250ml. I got it from Shell before the fill up and i'll stick the other half in next tank full. Then i'll settle down again to 10ml doses (sound like a druggy!)

Millers sounds like good stuff and tbh Ron if you use it then i've got to give it a shot, but I cant ever find it down here in sunny Dorset :(

Any suggestions? Local motor factors just give me Comma which is really good but I want I want I want

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
I used to be a mobile Redex engineer. This was a long long time ago, early sixties. We used to travel the country doing REDEX CONVERSIONS. This meant draining the oil from a petrol or diesel motor, filling the sump with neat Redex and fast tickover for half an hour. Drain and refill with Redex motor oil to suit. This was by the way in the days of straight oil no multigrades then. We would then drill and tap the inlet manifold, all normally aspirated engines of course with a carb. and screw in a nipple to take a vacuum gauge and we would adjust the timing on the distributor. Finishing off by adjusting the carb/s.
This did most engines a world of good, cleaning out all the gunge the straight oils left. BUT the excellent cleaning properties of Redex also cleaned off all the lacquering on the big end shells and we had a few failures. Motors normally driven nowadays rarely throw a big end but when it does happen it's exiting to say the least.
All this rambling of an old coot is of course totally irrelevant today, I am sure Redex in the fuel does no harm at all and possibly a lot of good. Myself I use Millers in my diesel.
Very interesting Dunks!

I remember seeing those Redex kits!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Diesel redex..

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CrazyStuffUK

Just for info ... this blokes got a few bottles of dizzel flushy stuff.. going soon, if lucky might get some for a 1p or 2..

but not if we all start bidding ;-]

( mind you there's always the postage !!)...

Its not me selling , neither am a relation !!!

C....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Redex - the memories!

I remember the Redex "decokes". You have a mate holding the throttle at a (very) fast tickover, and slowly pour neat Redex into the carb intake. Stand back and wait, then apologise to the neighbours for the cloud of black smoke!

Continue till the smoke (as well as the air!) turned blue. I recall this worked very well on A-series motors, Morris 1000, A-H Sprite etc. I assume it didn't do the motor any harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts