MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel slightly stupid posting this what with 6yrs. University background in [firstly] Computer Systems Electronic Engineering and [secondly] Computing.... I'm no geek, but then I have met a fair few in my time!

Anyway, my (two week old) laptop refuses to turn on. Its the second time its happened, the last time I used the recovery CD to get it working again. This time its having nothing of it.... The recovery FD created using the desktop PC doesn't work either. Before you ask, it is plugged in and the battery is charged...

Does anyone know any tricks to get it out of this state, before I go about having returned, possibly to reject it...?

Incidentally, the power light comes on, the HD spins up (although I suppose it could be the fan turning) and stops dead. Black screen. Nothing. Follwed by the sound of (what seems to be) the HD parking its head.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Sometimes even when plugged in, it needs the battery in place. Try taking it out and putting it back in again and make sure the battery is locked. We get a problem with our IBM's where the battery lock switch gets knocked and the damn things won't boot.

Do you get any life at all? Any bios info displayed for example.

Stu

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've taken the battery in and out many times, and made sure its home. Nope, no sign of life at all - it doesn't even display the BIOS info, nor can I press F2 to get the BIOS control panel thingy up.

·
Window Licker
22,048 Posts
Here's the 'no-brainer' answer....:D

If it's only two weeks old why don't you just take it back to where you got it from and get them to see what's up with it!! ;) Surely there's at least a one year warranty on it! :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
That answer would rather depend on where it came from.

If it's something like a Dell, then it would need sending back (unless the on-site warranty was purchased). If it was bought from the highstreet, then yes take it back. Otherwise it's probably a case of endure 10 hours of help desk muppet trying to tell you to try this and that before saying "it must be broken then" and getting an engineer out..

Stu

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VVC Coupe said:
That answer would rather depend on where it came from.
Well, its a return-to-base machine, so I want to check the obvious first. If there's still no joy by tomorrow morning then I think a "suitably appropriate" e-mail will be sent. I worry about sending it back, becuase some muppet will format the HD to get it working - and there's a lot of important stuff on there at the moment! How ironic, I was switching it on this evening so that I could back everything up to the desktop PC! Grrr!

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Sounds like something to do with the display to me, although I don't know much about laptops. Do you hear any error beep codes on bootup?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not the screen - the HD does not boot (load any data) but it does spin-up to speed. Nothing at all happens, no BIOS bleeps, nothing. In fact I don't think it even gets to the stage where it even does POST. I'm guessing that something is wrong with the BIOS chip. Just an inkling that I have, based on my experience, as this is the first thing that is done on switch-on.

Incidentally, it is a re-branded machine from an "unknown" manufacturer. In fact, it is the same brand, Mesh, as my desktop PC, which has been very/unbelieveably reliable.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Mesh have a pretty good reputation.

Sounds like a send it back job. If you know anyone else with a laptop, you could plug the disk in there to check it. Alternatively get a 2.5" to 3.5" convertor (comes with power plug also) to allow you to plug the HD into your desktop to get the data off.

I would try the first, to see if the disk is dead. If not, you can insist they don't re-format it when they repair the machine, or if possible back it up before it goes.

Stu

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yeah, them IDE > Laptop converter leads are pretty kewl, but only work if the MBR and data tables are intact, which i presume they are.

With the laptops I deal with, non-boot in the way you describe is down to the following reasons in there relative order

1) Wireless LAN card drains all the power (possibly not applicable to yourself)
2) RAM Chips overheats, which because it shorts won't allow the laptop to tuen on, but if you take it out, you should at least be able to run the BIOS (I have some 64Mb chips that may fit (PC 66 and 100)
3) CPU overheats, not particulalry common, but i've seen it
4) BIOS/motherboard failure, usually due to a microscopic (or not!)crack along the motherboard somewhere, whats really weird is sometimes to certain extents they cary on working.

hope some of this information helps

1 and 2 can be rectified by removing the offending item (and replacing if you want or need to) easy
3 I normally replace both the CPU and M/board for good measure
4 Motherboard replacement

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Interesting thread guys - I updated my BIOS when my HP laptop wouldn't boot up on battery power after going flat & hibernating.....now its 100% fine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts