MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Back again for the 6 monthly report. As usual nothing to report. Just had a few days away in the midlands visiting relations/friends and travelling at A1 outer lane speeds got an indicated 47mpg, less than this however on some heavy traffic stop/start trips around Newark/Nottingham/Mansfield area. Never less than 40 mpg however. Only complaint was from my wife who said the passenger seat was a hip nipper! She is only a size 10/12 (it pays to know these things) but the seats are quite narrow, everything else is fine. I will probably only report from now on if anything untoward occurs.
My conclusion is that the ZS is excellent value for a budget SUV, has no sporting pretensions and obviously is not an MG from yesteryear!
Final comment came from the owner of a 17 reg Jaguar who said that he liked the looks of the ZS and when I told him the price thought it would have been much more expensive.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Back again for the 6 monthly report. As usual nothing to report. Just had a few days away in the midlands visiting relations/friends and travelling at A1 outer lane speeds got an indicated 47mpg, less than this however on some heavy traffic stop/start trips around Newark/Nottingham/Mansfield area. Never less than 40 mpg however. Only complaint was from my wife who said the passenger seat was a hip nipper! She is only a size 10/12 (it pays to know these things) but the seats are quite narrow, everything else is fine. I will probably only report from now on if anything untoward occurs.
My conclusion is that the ZS is excellent value for a budget SUV, has no sporting pretensions and obviously is not an MG from yesteryear!
Final comment came from the owner of a 17 reg Jaguar who said that he liked the looks of the ZS and when I told him the price thought it would have been much more expensive.
All the best...Chris.
Sounds good Chris. I quite liked the one I had while my car was in but not sure I am really an SUV type person. It handles pretty well and body roll is not too bad but think I'd miss throwing the 3 into the bends, although the more I drove it the better it felt round the lanes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi everybody. First year is up and 1st service completed at 5678 miles.
The first year has gone well with only 3 minor problems. firstly a self inflicted one as I managed to break one of the tailgate clips that the cord to the rear parcel shelf attaches to, easily replaced. Secondly after bumping down a kerb I had an intermittent tyre pressure alarm which wouldn't go away this was rectified by the agents. Third problem is the usual one of sticky door handles which was dealt with at the service. They also carried out the steering reprogramming recall that was deemed necessary.
Have had one long "day trip" to Nottingham and back from my Essex home, a round trip of 260 miles with no after effects on my ageing body.
Everything is working well and running well and I think the car has a smoother ride when I carry heavy weights in the boot. Incidentally the service cost was a tad under £183.00 and the car was picked up from home and returned just after lunchtime. Nothing has made me regret buying this car and I am quite picky.
All the best...Chris

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hi everybody. First year is up and 1st service completed at 5678 miles.
The first year has gone well with only 3 minor problems. firstly a self inflicted one as I managed to break one of the tailgate clips that the cord to the rear parcel shelf attaches to, easily replaced. Secondly after bumping down a kerb I had an intermittent tyre pressure alarm which wouldn't go away this was rectified by the agents. Third problem is the usual one of sticky door handles which was dealt with at the service. They also carried out the steering reprogramming recall that was deemed necessary.
Have had one long "day trip" to Nottingham and back from my Essex home, a round trip of 260 miles with no after effects on my ageing body.
Everything is working well and running well and I think the car has a smoother ride when I carry heavy weights in the boot. Incidentally the service cost was a tad under £183.00 and the car was picked up from home and returned just after lunchtime. Nothing has made me regret buying this car and I am quite picky.
All the best...Chris
Hi Chris,

It's nice to hear that the car is performing well for you.

I agree that if the car is weighed down in the back then the car does actually drive better as it seems to sort out the sometimes fidgety ride.

I think that slightly better rear dampers would have the same effect.

I drove the car today when it was snowing in London and it performed well even when cold as I was expecting the engine to struggle again but the revs stayed at 1200 RPM during cold idle and the engine was able to provide the power to pull out of junctions without hesitation.

Eventually the revs dropped to 600 RPM at idle as per norm and again no major issues.

Cheers..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Forgot to mention the fuel consumption. It seems to be the same now as when it was new. It could be that I now drive it harder than when it was new. When I do lots of short stop start journeys it is about 27mpg, my usual journeys of between 7 to 15 miles it is between 37 and 40mpg and on a good run it is usually 47mpg. My recent Nottingham trip using the A1 to Grantham and then across to north Nottingham was a touch over 45mpg but I was driving hard that day (but not illegally!) using max acceleration for most of the journey. Incidentally the steering recall update appears to have made a minimal difference to the steering feel.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
cityrover
1 Posts
MG, myth and reality.

MG, myth and reality. I am French living in England. I bought a MG ZS SUV a year ago. Why MG? Because I wanted to ride in a legend. And I really was not disappointed. The price is lower than equivalent cars. Two months ago, I had an accident in France. The car hit a truck tire lost on the highway. I was at 130. The SUV performed very well, it remained stable and in the axis of the road. I could stop on the side. I remain a fan of this car.

·
Registered
mg_zs
4 Posts
I have just collected my new ZS, a 1.5 Exclusive in red, and have enjoyed the 25 mile drive home.
First impressions, tyres seem extremely noisy on certain road surfaces and disappointed that there were no anchor points in the boot.
Gear change is good, I just need to adapt my driving style a little as the change-up points are a little different to my old Hyundai ix20.
Brakes seem fine, not snatchy, but am treating everything gently as they need to bed in a bit.
Think I am going to like this car.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
PJR77 Welcome to the club! I have had mine for 15 months now and everything is fine. Had a holiday in Cornwall last week which was 300 miles each way. Still comfortable after that distance although I did stop a couple of times. With a budget car there will always be a few things that could be added, often quite cheaply. I haven't missed the anchorage points but would like an interior light for the rear seat passengers. Each to his own of course.
Hope you enjoy your ZS.
All the best...Chris

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
MG, myth and reality. I am French living in England. I bought a MG ZS SUV a year ago. Why MG? Because I wanted to ride in a legend. And I really was not disappointed. The price is lower than equivalent cars. Two months ago, I had an accident in France. The car hit a truck tire lost on the highway. I was at 130. The SUV performed very well, it remained stable and in the axis of the road. I could stop on the side. I remain a fan of this car.
I hope that you are okay from the accident.

The car does seem to be quite well planted even when performing evasive maneuvering.

The car does still have a stuttering issue when the engine is cold even after it was looked at by the supplying dealer Apple MG but I still feel very happy with it.

Cheers..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A quick post. All is still going well with no problems. Have just booked in for 2nd year service. It will be interesting to see the cost! Mileage is now approaching 12,000. Will keep you posted after the service.
All the best...Chris.

·
Registered
other_mg
38 Posts
My second service was at Kerridges Needham market £399 all inc. Other quotes were £468 Tolley, Colchester and £505 Perkins Braintree.
By the way my first service was £124.ish.. also at Kerridges. Bought full size alloy wheel from them too.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts