MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm Chris and is as title sugests.
The wire that feeds all lighting on nearside is red with a black stripes. This also runs across behind the center console to feed all the switch illuminations and dash lights.
All else is working fine. I've changed the MFU behind the fuse panel to no avail. All fuses and bulbs are good and numerouse continuity tests front to back and side to side show no gaps in the circuits. All earth headers are checked and clean.
Anyone got ideas? Cause I've run out.
There is this plug behind center console which I would like identified. It just hangs around.
Many thanks all.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Generally all lives switch to earth. You need to find the first live point on that side . Then go from here. The earth clusters I’ve had problems with where on the infamous boot wiring. There’s a bunch of them combined on the bodywork where the hinge swings on the LHS in the boot.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,915 Posts
Have you removed the radio at some stage? This sounds typical of one of the wires behind the radio being pinched against one of the sharp edges behind the dashboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. The dreaded boot hing was the first thing I sorted when I bought it in October. The radio has been in and out but caffing going on there. All earth joints are clean and respond to continuity tests. As does the live that feeds all lighting on that side. 🤔 Do you know what that plug is for?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
No, not a clue-Mine a 2002-I think yours might be the later one.Car electrics are a crock of....at the best of times-You need to find where the live goes to (and i don't- as I've never had issues other than the wiring loom to hinge-where it was a no-starter-at least with that its go to be fuel pump, ECU feed etc) Id be looking for a live on one of the bulbs on the LHS and if nothing, Id give it a 12v feed off a bike battery-after earthing the bike battery first (yep, Im a bike with a few small 12v batteries laying around. If you use a separate supply, theres less risk of damage. You are trying to get a bulb lit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PatM.
I was also a biker all my life till 7 years ago. Mine is a 99 mk1 vvc. Love it to bits. If I didn't have a windscreen I'd have flies in my teeth. 😁. Found a mate with a plug in gizmo will try that before pressing the electrician is a bit vague and the moment.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Thanks PatM.
I was also a biker all my life till 7 years ago. Mine is a 99 mk1 vvc. Love it to bits. If I didn't have a windscreen I'd have flies in my teeth. 😁. Found a mate with a plug in gizmo will try that before pressing the electrician is a bit vague and the moment.
Let us know how you get on Chris. We all learn from these pages. I had a tickover problem that drove me nuts but wasnt anything to do with what was suggested- although i was thankful for the thought process. i even had one of the maestros out with T4 na he couldnt find anything wrong becuse it only did it when really HOT.
It turned out to be the Llamda wires shorting out on pre-CAT...(Took me a year to find that)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input will post my discoveries and hopefully the cure. Small nod to Metallica. 🤠

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know how you get on Chris. We all learn from these pages. I had a tickover problem that drove me nuts but wasnt anything to do with what was suggested- although i was thankful for the thought process. i even had one of the maestros out with T4 na he couldnt find anything wrong becuse it only did it when really HOT.
It turned out to be the Llamda wires shorting out on pre-CAT...(Took me a year to find that)
Man if it takes that long........ Na! I'll sort it. Electric is not my bag but there's challenge with help from guys and gals like you to learn and sort. The better part of humanity if you like! Let's do this.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The plug looks like a plug for one or other of the electric windows - Each plug has 4 wires coloured as follows:

Passenger - Green, black/blue, black/yellow and grey/white
Driver - Black/yellow, grey/white, green and black/blue

·
Registered
mgf
37 Posts
hi
i had similiar issue on my mgf, fuse would go and when i put new one in it would blow immediately, i found the issue was the feed to the clock shorting on the dashboard body which was actually the illumination feed for the clock touching the metal frame, put some insulating tape around the connecting and that fixed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man if it takes that long........ Na! I'll sort it. Electric is not my bag but there's challenge with help from guys and gals like you to learn and sort. The better part of humanity if you like! Let's do this.
The plug looks like a plug for one or other of the electric windows - Each plug has 4 wires coloured as follows:

Passenger - Green, black/blue, black/yellow and grey/white
Driver - Black/yellow, grey/white, green and black/blue
Soz Julian windows are fine. This plug behind center console has 3 pins 5 wires, 2 red/black, illuminations, 1 grey , don't know,in middle, 2 black earth, on other side. Thanks for the only shout on that matter. If you have more insight 🧐🙏
hi
i had similiar issue on my mgf, fuse would go and when i put new one in it would blow immediately, i found the issue was the feed to the clock shorting on the dashboard body which was actually the illumination feed for the clock touching the metal frame, put some insulating tape around the connecting and that fixed it.
Hi Mhack, thanks for that. I've checked all that and had no shorts. All bulbs and fuses are fine. Glad you sorted your problem.
hi
Ok got it sorted out. The new MFU does work after all. Left battery disconnected for a couple of days. This gives the Multi Function Unit a chance to read your systems and bed in. Now all lights work and also now have an audible warning when door opens and lights on. Never had that before. Happy days. Thanks for the help all of you. 🍻😘
Ok got it sorted out. The new MFU does work after all. Left battery disconnected for a couple of days. This gives the Multi Function Unit a chance to read your systems and bed in. Now all lights work and also now have an audible warning when door opens and lights on. Never had that before. Happy days. Thanks for the help all of you. 🍻😘

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Julian, I asked myself the same, I can only assume that having initially reconnecting the battery after installing the MFU, then disconnecting the battery, the MFU uses residual power which any electrical system will have, to familiarize itself with the new environment.
The guy who sold it to me, really knows his stuff, told me that he should have mentioned leaving it overnight with battery off before re test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts