MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get a new key fob for a Rover 25? The inside mechanics have broken so I have managed to purchase a second hand one but I need to link it to my car. With the ECU code but how can I do that if the inside of the genuine fob is broken? Please help

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,215 Posts
It depends which type of fob you have.

Up to June 2003, the 25 had a Lucas security system which had a two-button squarish black fob. Most decent auto locksmiths and many garages will have diagnostic equipment which is capable of programming a suitable brand new or even a second hand fob, without too much bother.

From June 2003 onwards however, they were fitted with a Pektron security system with a round shaped black fob with grey buttons in a ring around a central badge (the badge may well have come off yours, and the buttons discoloured to a dark grey).

If this second type is the type you have, you will have to obtain a brand new fob because these fobs cannot be reprogrammed to a different car.

Any new fob must have its 22 digit barcode with it to enable it to be programmed to your car - this tells the SCU the starting code for the new fob, but because the code rolls on with each activation of a button, a used fob cannot be recognised even if you have the original barcode! (well, actually it can still be recognised up to the code having rolled on about 500 times, but in practice it is unlikely that you would find a used fob with that few activations and its barcode (the barcodes weren't normally provided with the car when new) - 500 activations is only about six months usage for a car in daily use, so 15 or more years later........

If you have any problems with obtaining a new fob or getting it programmed I would recommend contacting Paul Brown at Technozen Electronics - Home Of Pektron SCU Repair for advice.

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
pscan can code new or used fobs on a 5AS car.
It can also code them into a pektron car but as the previous poster has said you need a new unused one with the 22 digit code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts