MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new on here and have discovered a fault on my 98 Rover 200 1.4 .I thought it was the headgasket but ive been informed it is the Non return valve in the inlet manifold .....2 questions here ...1..Can you buy the valve separate or is it bouht as part of the manifold ...2.How much will i be expected to pay for the item ???

thanks in Advance

Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
don`t know if you can change the valve seperatly, but when i changed my manifold the valve was innstalled and it looked like it was hard to repace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don`t know if you can change the valve seperatly, but when i changed my manifold the valve was innstalled and it looked like it was hard to repace.
OK thanks can i ask you how much you paid for your manifold , i have asked 4 parts suppliers already and none have got back to me yet !

·
Never forgotten
16,723 Posts
Do you mean that the non return valve is leaking coolant? If so, just pull it out, clean up both surfaces and Araldite it back in. The valve itself is not required, just the vent pipe which could do with a restrictor of some sort if you ditch the ball.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About a week ago on the way to the shops i noticed that the temp was alarmingly up ,i checked the coolant level and found this to be way down ,so i topped it up with coolant till i got home tem dropped right away and ran normally until i got home.
I then checked the oil via dipstick and rocker cover cap and there was no creamy oil so Head gasket was eliminated , i then thought there was an airlock in the system . we took some hoses off to flush them through and noticed it wasnt flowing through the pipe going in to the inlet manifold next to the dipstick.I am aware there is a non return valve in there and am convinced this has stopped working .......

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
we took some hoses off to flush them through and noticed it wasnt flowing through the pipe going in to the inlet manifold next to the dipstick.I am aware there is a non return valve in there and am convinced this has stopped working .......
It's an outlet not an inlet.
It won't let water pass as it's a self bleeding valve to let air escape. It will let air pass, but not water.
The force of the water passing around the system makes the valve close. When there is air in the system it will bleed itself through the valve and into the header tank.

If you've ever refilled your coolant and bled air from the system you may have noticed a pressure build up in then tank after a quick run. This is air in the system escaping through the valve into the header tank.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's an outlet not an inlet.
It won't let water pass as it's a self bleeding valve to let air escape. It will let air pass, but not water.
The force of the water passing around the system makes the valve close. When there is air in the system it will bleed itself through the valve and into the header tank.

If you've ever refilled your coolant and bled air from the system you may have noticed a pressure build up in then tank after a quick run. This is air in the system escaping through the valve into the header tank.
Thanks for that Ashy , so am i on the right lines to fix the problem ?? and if so how do i do it ?? .

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Thanks for that Ashy , so am i on the right lines to fix the problem ?? and if so how do i do it ?? .
No not really. It doesn't explain your water loss. The valve can fail shut and prevent air from escaping the system causing an air lock, but that won't explain your water loss.

You need to find the source of the leak. Usual culprits are inlet manifold gasket or water pump.
Check all the hoses too and your radiatior.
Best idea is to put paper under the car after a run and then have a look later when the engine has cooled for any marks on the paper.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I have no water loss whilst the car is standing ,it only happened whilst i was moving

The pressure builds up in the system when the car is running and forces oil/water past the seals. There is no pressure build up when the car isn't running.
When the engine is hot this can evaporate the water loss before you get chance to see it. However as the car cools there may be a chance you will see a leak as there will still be pressure in the system.

Best thing is to go to a garage and get a pressure test. Doesn't cost much and will show if there is a leak or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you put it in boiling water? If it really isn't working that could be a factor in the water loss due to.....I can't say it.
yep in boiling water , looks like i will get a new stat and a new HG , shouldnt be that hard of a job :spanner:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed the Stat and the inlet gasket (one of the new green ones) ,filled it up and bled it ,been running fine all day ..When i took the other gasket out you could see where it had been leaking but i think i caught it in time ,Also changed the bolts and studs on the block .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Non return valve completely blocked

I'm doing a HG change on my 214 and on removing the inlet manifold and giving it a bit of a clean, I noticed that the coolant return pipe from the manifold to the expansion tank is completely blocked with what looks like solidified coolant (crystalline white/brown substance).

I understand that there should be a non return valve in this pipe, which obviously can't be working if it is blocked up. Could this have contributed to the HGF and how do I unblock the pipe? Can I just drill it out?

Thanks in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts