MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people :)

Well for those who don't know, my ZR is pampered to a ridiculous extent. So much so I run a second car so the ZR can avoid, rain, winter and car parks.

My second cars over the last 5 years have been various Micras.

Well today I've paid a deposit on a bit of a nice Rover 25 GLi 5 door Mk2.

The Micra is going to the big car park in the sky as corrosion is taking a hold of it along with some other niggles. It's not worth the hassle.

This Rover is a one owner, FSH, 06 plate with 14k miles on the clock (it's not the car from my other thread, funny how I've found 2 different low milers recently)

Anyway, I'm excited! Full leather, black ash trim, electric toys, and no rust! All old MOTs etc... Drives perfect and it comes with a 3 month warranty.

It's no where near my ZR for condition, but it's very tidy and I'll post pics when I pick it up :D

Plans are to replace faded badges and clean the engine bay/undercarriage. Then a polish/wax and enjoy!

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's just a car that was late being registered. It will of sat around for a year before being sold and registered.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
Well done; sounds really good - look forward to seeing some pics.

By "black ash", do you mean the dark burr oak effect?? (I have this in my ZR :)

???

I'm now genuinely intrigued. I always thought Rover only managed to hang on until just after the 55 plates?
Whilst the lines ground to halt on 7th April 2005, and MG Rover went into administration the following day, the administrators called some key line workers back in later on to finish of nearly complete cars, and later in the year apparently built up a further quantity on the factory floor (those for which there were sufficient parts in store) - this was after the Chinese had removed the lines. The cars were released to the dealers in batches over the months following the collapse of the company and the final batch of cars was released to the dealers in March 2006.

Due to the the tightening of the emissions rules to Euro 4 from the beginning of 2006, a derogation was obtained to allow the Euro 3 MG Rover cars to continue to be sold and registered as new for a period of three years after manufacture finally stopped - the last cars should have been registered on an 08 plate (although there were odd ones that got through on a 58 plate, including an Ignition Blue ZS that was used by the security team at Longbridge for a time).

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new Rover sounds too nice to use as an every day banger

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's nice, but not too nice.

No rust and clean enough externally, but It's not what I'd class as mint. My MG is way ahead on that score, particularly looking at the underside components. The springs, fuel tank, rear beam etc... All look fresh on my ZR, but the Rover needs a bit of a tidy up and some paint under there.

The Rover does have 3 small parking dings in one door and the odd very light scuff to it's bumpers and very light scratch here and there it's a 10 year old car that's been sitting around all of its life. The engine bay and underside have never ever been cleaned, the union flag badges and wheel centres are faded as are the door strip '25' decals.

The interior and exterior are clean, but not factory clean. I'll be addressing some of these cosmetic issues and overall cleanliness and maintaining the car as required. It's spent it's whole life sitting around without any TLC by the looks of it. It has been serviced yearly which is nice to see.

My ZR has covered 62000 miles but if I parked them side by side and asked anyone which car they think had covered 14k no one would say it was the Rover out of the two.

Yes the Rover is going to be put into daily use, but it's condition will actually improve in my possession compared to how it's been left to sit until now.

I'm not going to treat it as a banger, but it's going to be a daily car.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done; sounds really good - look forward to seeing some pics.

By "black ash", do you mean the dark burr oak effect?? (I have this in my ZR :)
Yes that will be it :)

I'm not clued up on the trim names for the 25 facelift. Never really looked into the spec levels on them before. I'm very happy with the interior though, it's going to come up really smart once I'm finished with it!

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should have ditched the Micra years ago and gone all British :smile:
Ha ha! Well there are two ways to look at that... :)

My Micra was built in a factory a few miles from where I live, so I guess it is British.

If I had of went with a 25 sooner, the chances are I wouldn't necessarily be looking for a car now to find this one. Believe me I'm pleased this one has popped up at the right time and at the right place :D

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
That looks lovely....am well jealous

Do I see front fogs, but is there a front fog switch?

What buttons are there?...Heated Rear Window, AirCon?...Central Locking in centre?.....Rear fog light switch to far right?

Also, do I spy a sunroof?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks lovely....am well jealous

Do I see front fogs, but is there a front fog switch?

What buttons are there?...Heated Rear Window, AirCon?...Central Locking in centre?.....Rear fog light switch to far right?

Also, do I spy a sunroof?
No front fogs unfortunately. I might add them at a later date...

The switches are from left to right, Door locks, Heated rear window, Air recirculation & Rear fog lights.

Yes it has a sunroof in excellent condition. I also own a spare sunroof in excellent condition so no worries about leaks and corrosion thankfully!

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
Wow, just wow. I am also jealous... ;)

Car looks excellent, this is really jackpot to get her in this condition.

Now a proper introduction... her name is ...

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
No front fogs unfortunately. I might add them at a later date...

The switches are from left to right, Door locks, Heated rear window, Air recirculation & Rear fog lights.

Yes it has a sunroof in excellent condition. I also own a spare sunroof in excellent condition so no worries about leaks and corrosion thankfully!
Aaah ok...I did wonder if it had both aircon and sunroof.

It does look like it has front fogs in the bumper but I guess they are colour coded blanks. THat's why I was abit confused by the switches, as I thought there should have been another one next to the rear fog switch. Fairly easy to add overall though, but I think they have to be activated on the Mk2's

Not quite as jealous, but still jealous of the leather seats :grin: and the sunroof

I do like very much though......looks great, and such low mileage

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
Yes, front fogs need activation on BCU, but you can always route separate wires with mk1 installation.

Regarding sunroof and aircon, I have both on my Rover 600.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts