MG-Rover.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
A small update.

New oil cap...

Stainless battery clamp as the original was well past it's best...

Heko wind deflectors, only on the front as a 4 piece set seem to be like hens teeth at the moment...

A bit of polish with Sonus SFX 2 and then some Finish Kare sealant. Ok reflections for silver...

Oil & filter change next month along with the new rocker gasket and dress up bolts I've got for the car. I plan on taking a long weekend in the next month or so to get the arches stripped out, cleaned and painted.

The squeaking door card is ongoing. Miles better, but ongoing!
It looks better and better. Congratulations!
BTW, where did you get the Rover oil cap? I would be surprised all Rover were equipped with it from factory.
Regarding the deflectors, my parents had got two front ones on their 214Gsi. They are still now in the garage: I haven't tried to put them back on my 25: not sure they would fit.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Congratulations. :)

You have a rare little car right there. An 06 plate is quite a rare find and especially with such a low mileage. You're really lucky.

I hope that it serves you well.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Congratulations. :)

You have a rare little car right there. An 06 plate is quite a rare find and especially with such a low mileage. You're really lucky.

I hope that it serves you well.
I know :)

When I saw it for sale just around the corner from me I knew I just had to have it :D

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Small update!

The Rocker cover was weeping oil slightly so I've renewed the gasket. Turned out there was a loose bolt causing the leak!

I've also given the car an oil change to the proper spec 10w/40 semi synthetic it should have, instead of the fully synth that was in thanks to halfords servicing when with the previous owner.

Also now a genuine MG-Rover oil filter is fitted and I've replaced all of the fixings on the engine with a dress up stainless kit as per my ZR. I think these look really good and they are better quality than the original bolts...

Some new decor for the garage!

One quick snap of the ZR sunbathing...

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
No more squeaking front passenger door!

After a few weeks of trying different things behind the door card (new clips, new waterproof membrane, secure loose wiring harnes plug which was detached from it's clip, tighten up the door speaker screws as they were loose, lube everything up etc) I have finally fixed the annoying squeak/rattle!

The door striking plate mounted to the cars body was not correctly aligned. The door was closing securely, but there was still a small amount of play in the door when shut. It's taken me ages to find this and now with the striker plate about 3mm further in the door is more solid on closing and the very irritating noise it was making when driving has stopped.

Pleased is an understatement as I was really getting fed up with it, it was spoiling the whole experience of the car. Now it's properly silent to drive :D

Good thing is I've fixed a few loose door related items in the process too. The Rover is coming along nicely now, just the underside to properly clean and protect next.

EDIT

Here is how much the striker plate required adjusting. The tape shows where it was originally...

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
More progress on the Rover!

Part of the service history was lost by the dealer I bought the car from, they were trying to sort this out - but no joy! So apart from oil services and brakes I have no record of belts or coolant changes.

So I've replaced the timing belt & tensioner, PAS & alternator belts. Also a new water pump and a fresh coolant mix have been added.

Here is an idea of the condition the original belts were in...

Needles to say I'm pleased to have the piece of mind of having this done.

So in the couple of months I've had the car, I've fixed the rattles so it's nice and silent to drive. it's had fresh oil & a genuine filter, new cam cover gasket, new coolant, new belts & new water pump. I've also ditched the SAAB valve as I have not read anything positive on it's functionalty.

The car has also had new replacement badges all round as pictured previously in this thread. It's the little things like that which can spoil the look of an otherwise tidy car.

Still need to strip the arch liners out and properly go over the underside. I also will need to refurb the sunroof in the not too distant future by the looks of things. I have a spare I can refurb and swap out.

A replacement wing will be on the cards too...

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
I also see that you put front wind deflectors and aero blades....

Few question, how you put Dark Ice oil dipstick handle? What you need to cut and how firm new handle is? And which allen key bolts you used all around engine bay for wings and bumper, also Dark Ice or something else?

On the other side, you will put K&N filter in Rover too, I suppose?

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I also see that you put front wind deflectors and aero blades....

Few question, how you put Dark Ice oil dipstick handle? What you need to cut and how firm new handle is? And which allen key bolts you used all around engine bay for wings and bumper, also Dark Ice or something else?

On the other side, you will put K&N filter in Rover too, I suppose?

Hi Roverlike,

Yes I've Heko wind deflectors and areo blades on both cars. Both very effective additions I wouldn't want to be without.

The Dark Ice dipstick is very easy to fit. All you need is a junior hacksaw. The instructions tell you were to cut the handle and an Allen key and grub screw are provided for fitting.

There is an indent on the dipstick which the grub screw bites into and it's a nice tight fit. No chance of it falling off and going missing.

Dark Ice also supplied the wing and bumper bolt kit. These come in a choice of colours with anodised dished washers. I have silver on the 25 and a mix of silver and green in the ZR.

I bought two kits for the 25 as I also replaced the headlight fixings with these bolts too as one kit alone is not enough to do wings/bumper and headlights. I then used the extra ones left from over the second kit to replace the ZR headlight and radiator bolts with too.

The ZR has green for the bumper and wings.

With regards to a K&N filter, the 25 is the 1.4 84ps version with restricted throttle body. As a result I think it would be pointless. The filter which is in now looks new with a lot of life still to give.

I won't be fitting the 105 unrestricted throttle body as I have my 1.8 ZR to satisfy my boy racer side ;)

Also on another note I like the Rover being kind of an alter ego to the MG. it's a very quiet car to drive whereas the MG growls and rumbles and I like the two contrasts between the cars. One is typically MG like, a little noisy and hard. While the Rover is quiet and a little smoother.

I intend to keep the cars different in that respect, hope that makes sence?

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
It makes perfect sense to me.

I asked for K&N filter because I am not looking at it for power purpose (my 1.4 75hp engine proves that) but for quality, durability and cost purpose. Yes, you will have sound change as well so because of that from your point of view you are perfectly correct.

I also use Heko wind deflectors and aero blades as well, so I had to notice them :)

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
It makes perfect sense to me.

I asked for K&N filter because I am not looking at it for power purpose (my 1.4 75hp engine proves that) but for quality, durability and cost purpose. Yes, you will have sound change as well so because of that from your point of view you are perfectly correct.

I also use Heko wind deflectors and aero blades as well, so I had to notice them :)

With regards to quality and durability a K&N panel filter is excellent. That alone is a good reason to choose one.

If you intend to keep the car for a number of years it's a good investment to add a K&N.

The one I have in my ZR is 12 years old and has only required cleaning once. If the filter currently in my 25 was in need of replacement I would be considering a K&N, but since there is a lot of life in the filter already fitted and also partly the reasons I previously mentioned, I'm not opting for one in the 25 at the moment.

For pure durability though they are an excellent filter and I've owned 5 cars in which I've fitted K&N filters and have always been happy with the results.

·
Rover Lifestyle
Rover 200 Rover 600
12,538 Posts
Both my Rovers are.equipped with K&N filters, R600 and R200. For several years of usage I did not need to clean them yet, so I am more than satisfied. :broon:

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I haven't frequented the forums much lately. Seems pretty pointless these days, but I've still got my 2 cars.

The ZR sees very little use now. It's fully retired as a car to get from A-B. I only drive it for the sake of driving for pleasure. The 25 only gets used every other day for getting from A-B as I commute a lot by bicycle now.

Anyway as a brief update on the 25 which has now covered 22000 miles, the front wings are shot after winter. New wings are on order and the car will be getting some TLC in the coming weeks, new wings painted and fitted as well as a proper clean/detailing session.

I'm giving it its annual service today. Other than that it's all good, running well and sailed through it's MOT as did the ZR this year.

I'll update the thread with progress as and when I swap out the wings etc...

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,207 Posts
I was only the other day wondering what had become of you - pleased to find that you and both cars are still around :)

I know from my own experience of 25/ZR front wings that the rust that starts around the bolt holes for the wing/bumper brackets can spread further up the inside of the wing than it does where it shows on the outside, so they can look mint on the outside one minute, and only a few months later rust can be bubbling through from inside as well as around the edges of the flanges.

I haven't frequented the forums much lately. Seems pretty pointless these days..
It's one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - people don't come on a forum because not many others are posting, so the activity decreases further and even more people stop posting. Does get a bit depressing really, especially as it seems that we get a lot of new members with a problem who either disappear again as soon as their questions have been answered, or who ask a question and don't even bother to come back to see any replies, let alone respond.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts